Thread: Is my Scarlet-W a DSMC2 body???

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Is my Scarlet-W a DSMC2 body??? 
    I’m considering the new upgrade pricing (to go from Scarlet-W to Gemini) and I saw this note on the upgrade page:

The GEMINI 5K S35 TRADE-IN FOR SCARLET-W RED DRAGON increases your shooting potential and upgrades your SCARLET-W to the RED’s DSMC2 CAMERA BRAIN.

My Scarlet-W takes the new, smaller memory cards, which I thought was the hallmark of the DSMC2 body. Is Scarlet-W not housed in a DSMC2 body? Was there a revision between the old DSMC body, with the huge media, and DSMC2? What kind of purgatory does Scarlet-W live in?

And second question (thanks for your time spent reading this, by the way) is there any chance the “new” DSMC2 body will have a better preamp than the low end preamp on the Scarlet-W? If a true DSMC2 body has better audio handling I cannot give Red my money fast enough.

Haha. That's what I thought too. I thought the DSMC2 body was just the new smaller one in contrast to the older Epic Dragon body with bigger memory cards.
    Sorry I don't have an answer.
    CINEMATOGRAPHER | BUSINESS OWNER

Website

NAKNEK DESIGN LLC

It’s a wording situation. The Scarlet-W and even the Red Raven have the DSMC 2 body form factor. So even though it is clearer now, it’s still a bit confusing because of these two brains. Actually for the new “DSMC 2” brains it’s simply that the Weapon body is now being used for all the other sensors which are not Dragon.

For my taste it might have been easier to understand to just stick with Weapon for the naming convention. Going back to Epic to have the old Epic-Scarlet naming scheme would have been nice, but might have been confusing for weapon owners.

I think there’s still some room for improvement on the naming front at RED ;)
    Something witty this way comes.

Agree DSMC2 is still confusing for the lingering cameras that don't have the unified horsepower. Weapon as a name is also being dropped. I'm happy about that. That always raised eyebrows discussing cameras with producers.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Glad I'm not the only one confused about this. We have a DSMC2 body already, I thought with the Epic-W Helium!

Man, I'll be happy when RED gets this stuff sorted out. Body, brain, sensors, boards...all with different names. And then to stick a "W" on our Epic, though it's not actually a Weapon? Whew...confusing.
    Owner/Editor
    Drawbridge Media, Inc.
    www.drawbridge.tv
    ---
    Drawbridge does a mix of corporate video production, spots,
    live events and post-production. We also edit shows for Discovery Networks/TLC.

Well actually it would’ve been ok if it’s just being reduced to the sensor name only, which it actually is. The brain now defines itself through sensor only.
    Only thing is that they need to be able to differentiate the same sensor with DSMC 3 later on. But the DSMC 2 is more of a side note than the actual title. Referring to the cameras as Monstro, Helium and Gemini actually works now. Until new sensors come along with more K. ;)
    Something witty this way comes.

But who has more fun with this stuff than RED owners!!
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

8. #8 Sales info states Scarlet W is a DSMC2 body 
    The mystery continues... I dug up the launch material for the Scarlet W, and Red claimed at the time that it was a DSMC2 body. That was one of its selling points, you’d have access to the sensors created for the DSMC2 body. Now the Gemini upgrade material says you need to trade in WHATEVER the Scarlet W body is to upgrade yourself to DSMC2+Gemini.

I was strongly considering the Gemini upgrade (from Scarlet W), but then this kind of nonsense makes me think the Gemini upgrade is really priced wrong. The Gemini upgrade should just be the cost of the sensor (not sensor + new body). That was the promise of Scarlet W, which Red did not keep.

By this logic, a $13k charge for a 5k sensor is kind of nuts. An entire 4K camera package from Canon is $10k, and that unit actually has a useable sound subsystem. I really don’t understand current Gemini pricing considering that 2 years ago a 16.5 stop DR camera from Red that shoots 5k was priced at $10k for the body + sensor. The SAME BODY (if we are to believe the Scarlet W product page) and an extra 3200 iso mode costs $24k new today ($13k upgrade).

Compared to current pricing the Scarlet W was the deal of the century, so I do want to say thank you for this awesome camera. Also thanks for the IPP2 pipeline, that added a lot of value for me. But I’m a pass on the “upgrade” to DSMC2, I’m pretty sure I already paid for that body.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Skinner View Post
    The mystery continues... I dug up the launch material for the Scarlet W, and Red claimed at the time that it was a DSMC2 body. That was one of its selling points, you’d have access to the sensors created for the DSMC2 body. Now the Gemini upgrade material says you need to trade in WHATEVER the Scarlet W body is to upgrade yourself to DSMC2+Gemini.

I was strongly considering the Gemini upgrade (from Scarlet W), but then this kind of nonsense makes me think the Gemini upgrade is really priced wrong. The Gemini upgrade should just be the cost of the sensor (not sensor + new body). That was the promise of Scarlet W, which Red did not keep.

By this logic, a $13k charge for a 5k sensor is kind of nuts. An entire 4K camera package from Canon is $10k, and that unit actually has a useable sound subsystem. I really don’t understand current Gemini pricing considering that 2 years ago a 16.5 stop DR camera from Red that shoots 5k was priced at $10k for the body + sensor. The SAME BODY (if we are to believe the Scarlet W product page) and an extra 3200 iso mode costs $24k new today ($13k upgrade).

Compared to current pricing the Scarlet W was the deal of the century, so I do want to say thank you for this awesome camera. Also thanks for the IPP2 pipeline, that added a lot of value for me. But I’m a pass on the “upgrade” to DSMC2, I’m pretty sure I already paid for that body.
    Scarlet-W IS a Weapon with DSMC2 body. I think that the upgrade to Gemini include some electronics too but even if Jarred sayd that the math it's nonsense i agree with you.
    DP/Editor - Magestic Film - Italy based production and post-production
    Scarlet-W "Esmé" + Sony A7RII

The DSMC2 (Digital Stills & Motion Camera, 2nd gen) is a family of camera body(brain) form factor.

So all the cameras - Scarlet-W, Epic-W, Weapon CF where DSMC2 style cameras. But their internals where different in terms of processing power, hence the old naming scheme.

All these names are now dead/replaced and there is only one camera body called DSMC2 that has the performance of the former Weapon.

Scarlet-W - doesn't exist anymore
    Epic-W - doesn't exist anymore

and the Weapon changed it's name to DSMC2.

Now you can get the same body (now named DSMC2) with the same internals and the same processing power that used to be called Weapon (with Weapon specs) and the 3 types of sensors - Gemini, Helium, Monstro.

And now you have:

DSMC2 - Helium, DSMC2 - Monstro, DSMC2 - Gemini