Thread: Why would I Upgrade Epic-W in light of DSMC2 Unified?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    Those Extra fps you get with the extra 5K- which by the way was extra 30K before this happening- just makes your camera future proof for all content that will be made, for broadcast, film or whatever platform, at least for the next 5 to 8 years. 60P 8K content will be the next thing coming during the 2020 Olympics in Japan. At that time all displays and other stuff will be pushing 8K everywhere. And 30fps won't cut it.

Its one heck of a deal. In fact I would skip Gemini. I own a Helium and its low light is plenty good enough. You~re getting what I had to get a 5 year loan for, in a lot less. I would jump for it eyes shut!
    Reading posts like this makes the SW -> Gemini or Helium decision much harder!
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #011030

Quote Originally Posted by RyanFrancis View Post
    So the names Epic and Weapon are gone.

Why would I upgrade my Epic-W to Weapon (which doesn't really exist). It's just a slightly faster processor and slightly better frame/data rates.
    Key thing is if you want 60fps in 8k or 7k or lower compression rates. If that doesn't matter to you the only reason that makes sens is because of future upgrades.

For me I always shot in slow motion so 60fps is a must but based on how you shot things may be differently.
    /Andreas
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    www.THUNDOOR.com- Visually poetic images and stories that matter
    Epic X #3734, CF Weapon Helium Strummer Bright Tangerine, Sachtler Video 20 S1, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Key thing is if you want 60fps in 8k or 7k or lower compression rates. If that doesn't matter to you the only reason that makes sens is because of future upgrades.

For me I always shot in slow motion so 60fps is a must but based on how you shot things may be differently.
    /Andreas
    Totally makes sense. Currently, for me it's not a big deal for me to drop to 6k and get 60 fps. But I see where you are coming from.
    CINEMATOGRAPHER | BUSINESS OWNER

Website

NAKNEK DESIGN LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wahba View Post
    Reading posts like this makes the SW -> Gemini or Helium decision much harder!
    Helium. Its low light is good enough. Coming from a Scarlet W you will already see an improvement.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Yes for Helium :

- I need 50p for TV broadcast
    - I love the picture from 8K which is almost the same resolution than my Nikon D800
    - I love to crop in the picture in the timeline
    - I love to use a different resolution to change focals when I'm a little far

Yes I would need more sensibility but I think I will regret 8K if I change for Gemini 5K...

Say you side grade to a Gemini from a Epic W. What happens to the Epic W sensor? Is it still mine and are kept safe some where and can be easily swapped back to. Is user swappable sensors due to dmsc3 bodys?
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Speaking of the Gemini - Helium thing, I think I’ll stick with Helium because the lowlight performance it has is enough for me. And if I really need something for in the night or in the evening I love to rent one out.
    Resolution is not everything but having the ability to re level and reframe for 4k delivery is the killer feature for me.

Gemini is amazing and all that but when the Epic-W with 8k was announced I jumped on from the Raven -> Scarlet-w because it seemed the most future proof camera.
    When you invest more than 20K in a camera system without lenses you do that because you want to use it without the hustle of technology getting better and better. And you constantly need something new to stay alive in the market.

Color science, brand love and "on what movies are mostly shot on" a side, the Epic-W is for me one or the most innovative cameras in the market.
    It`s all I need to produce, without having to look into technology changes every day. I never had to say NO to a client’s resolution or framerate request since I shoot on the EpicW.

Enough resolution for the next century, amazing noise levels, detail and the most efficient RAW workflow. ProRes or DNxHR if clients want it. And that with full S35 internally. No cables recorders needed.

So the camera is great and I even would do the update for 5000 because 75fps on 8k widescreen is what I miss on S35. Faster operation performance would be also super great.

The only thing that makes me think is, will RED as company stay behind it for the next 6-10 years?

There were so many changes (which is not a bad thing) since the Raven came out.
    I don´t know if I can work that long with freedom and
    without worrying to get no repair or support if the product is not working or something breaks. Or we have the ability to upgrade to DSMC3 or even 4 for a special price.

The only thing that I can hope is that Jarred and RED will not let us down if we do trust him and the company now.
    IMAGINATION | A CAMERA | A LENS and a MINI MAG
    THAT´S ALL WE NEED

A moderate upgrade indeed, but like some of those who have chimed in already, there is no rush. 8K is great, we don't NEED anything beyond 24 FPS at the moment but good to know it will be available down the line, along with access to VV if we want it.

Off-speed is something we do a lot of. However, we are happy to do it in 6K.

It makes a ton of sense for Red to align systems this way...and I was called out on the forum for saying they ought to do so before Jarred made this announcement.

Agreed Josh - I was super shocked to hear that they sliced the price so dramatically; burned all the way down after raising the funds to upgrade my Epic W to Weapon 2 months ago. Cant help but feeling robbed. Lets hope they will reach out with some sort of compensation to us Weapon dudes.

Just throwing this out there for us Epic-W owners that want to have out cake and eat it too...
    ( Just an idea ) Buy a Gemini body and get 50% off your Helium upgrade or 25% off your Monstro upgrade from Epic-W. ; )
    www.elkhornent.com
    Epic-W 8k Helium #5914