Thread: Which Lenses Do You Use?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Which Lenses Do You Use? 
    As much as I'd love to own some Cooke and Angénieux lenses, it isn't in the cards just yet.

I'd like to know what lenses you all swear by.

Thanks,
    Rob
    www.thefilmguys.net
    rob@thefilmguys.net
    Red Epic-X
    Sigma Cine Primes 18-35, 35, 50, 85

I own a set of canon CN-E. Great lenses and appeal to many in my region. If I had to do it again I would strongly consider the celere set, but for a nice set of personal glass I have no regrets. I love the way they look with RED and I normally dumb them down with some black pro mist.

Those ATLAS anamorphic set looks amazing
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

So many options. I own a lot of glass myself and all for different reasons. The sigma primes are a set you can pick up for anything and trash them as much as you'd like and they will still keep on tickin. The celeres have their own unique look and feeling, nice and lightweight. I picked up a set of the new cooke panchro classics and they are just so quintessentially cooke. They are magic. The new EZ-1 and EZ-2 Angenieux zooms are KILLER. makes me not even want to shoot primes any more. The new Atlas anamorphics will be here soon and will end up shooting those a lot im sure. The tokinas, cp3, Cn-E are all great options in the lower budget end of the spectrum as well. If you get a chance to shoot on the Illuminas, they are also a treat. Ive also got a set of Contax Zeiss that have been modded as well as modded Leica-r's. Its hard to pass on the looks of those two sets. they are beautiful all the way around. they all have their own unique set of characteristics. Always find myself asking what look is best for the content.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

Quote Originally Posted by Domenic Barbero View Post
    I picked up a set of the new cooke panchro classics.
    I won't believe it until I see them listed in your tag.

We're going to have to send you to Lensaholics Anonymous, Dom. And yes, I am envious.

Dom has all the goodies
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Quinn View Post
    Dom has all the goodies

I wanna see his filter collection. I bet there's even some True Streak Confetti in there.

I just started down the path of purchasing some vintage stills glass and will be getting them modified (but not rehoused....yet). I'm lucky that I get the opportunity to rent in a lot of cases but more projects have been rolling in that ask me to bring a full camera kit so these little lenses are going to do me just right. A 4-lens set for me including modding and a case will end up being about $2500-3000. I think it's a smart move if you're cool doing some leg work yourself.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

DSMC2 Gemini #796

Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    I won't believe it until I see them listed in your tag.

We're going to have to send you to Lensaholics Anonymous, Dom. And yes, I am envious.
    Hope you're happy :)
    See below!
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

I've used CZ.2 zooms for almost everything since they came out.

I'll pretty much echo Dom's post as we're in similar situations. Eventually I've owned a few lenses and there's those I use a lot more than others too, but the real answer for you if you're looking to make that step is to find a set of glass that works for your needs, creative likings, and budget range. You can always rent top tier cinema glass when the shoot calls for it.

To DJ's post, yep those Zeiss CZs are still some of the best zoom lenses out there for the price, just a shorter range than the bigger glass, but infinitely more "kind on the back" to work with.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon