Thread: Future of Scarlet

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My thought is that either the raven or scarlet will go as the entry-level camera in the dsmc3 line based of the success as the hydrogen.
    SAMHAIN STUDIOS
    RED Scarlet-X

"The camera...has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

According the email blast from red today there's this:

In addition to RED RAVEN and SCARLET-W, RED's updated camera line now includes:
    Then it lists the three rebranded DSMC 2 cameras.

This would be indicative to me of continued support for those cameras, at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Wynne View Post
    According the email blast from red today there's this:

In addition to RED RAVEN and SCARLET-W, RED's updated camera line now includes:

Then it lists the three rebranded DSMC 2 cameras.

This would be indicative to me of continued support for those cameras, at least for now.
    got that email today too, i think they will keep them going as entry level cameras, i think that is actually their biggest market, most people dont have 20-50k.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Dery View Post
    I really hope it sticks around. I am in the market for either a Raven or Scarlet (leaning towards Scarlet because of all the Nikon glass i have). At this time i am not ready to buy as funds are allocated to other things. So it may be a year and a little bit before i am able to pull the trigger. If i know it were to be discontinued i would see what i could do to speed up the buying process. On the other hand i don't want to buy too early to find out a week later that the Scarlet is going to get a Gemini sensor.

Jordan
    You can very easily use your Nikon glass on the Raven as well, that is the beauty of investing into Nikon mount glass.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Quote Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
    You can very easily use your Nikon glass on the Raven as well, that is the beauty of investing into Nikon mount glass.
    I am well aware with an adapter Nikon glass is able to go onto a Canon mount. I like the idea of having a native mount though, i have about a dozen different Nikon lenses and most of them being G series lenses having no manual aperture ring. I know there are some adapters that can control the aperture but you are sort of guessing what stop you are setting your lens too. To my understanding the Nikon mount from RED gives you the ability to control the aperture and focus from the camera, this is a huge bonus to me and totally worth the extra money. Also with adapters you are introducing another component between the lens and the mount. If this is not a well manufactured component with extremely tight tolerances you then could be introducing a flange focal distance error. With the adapter on you could then loose perfect infinity focus. Now all this being said as much as it is worth spending more to have a native mount the reality is i may not be able to afford the extra money so may still end up with a Raven.

Jordan

As much as I like the new bodies, my Scarlet-W does everything I need it to right now. Sure, low light could be better, but we are supposed to be exposing properly anyway, so even in low light, you gotta do things right. Im not turning my nose up by any means, but Id rather spend that upgrade money on other items thatll fully kit my gear out.
    #MakeItHappen...#ThatFiilmLife

Ty Hunt
    Director | Cinematographer
    Scarlet-W

www.LightHawk.studio