Thread: Congratulations to Red on the Dawn of the next phase

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Miro View Post
    If you are a Epic-w user. You are paying $35k for now a $24.5k camera
    No. If you're an Epic-W user, you're paying $35K for the an Epic-W which you got to use (many of us well beyond a year at this point) and then trading it in for the ownership of a DSMC2 Helium. Basically a $10K year long "rental" of Epic-W for me - $27/day. Not bad if you ask me.

What did you do with your camera when you bought it? Shelve it until this release?

And of course brand new customers get the best deal. They waited the longest to jump in. Should I be upset with a first-time McDonald's customer because I've been buying and eating burgers for years and have spent considerably more money than they have?

Paying only $5K to stay current isn't a bad deal. The alternative would be no upgrade option. Meaning you gotta sell a camera you spent $30K, hope to get maybe $15K because of current market rates, then pay RED $25K for DSMC2 Helium. A net cost of $40K and a bunch of effort spent selling your camera on the used market. I'd be saving $5K going through RED, they're valuing my camera for more money than anyone else would on the used market.

Was kind of hoping this thread could be acknowledging what a step forward this was rather than a continuation of the whining and bitching. Oh well.

San Dimas High School Football Rules!

Nick

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    People are funny. Give them the progress that they want, and they complain that you move too quickly and that you need to be like ARRI (same BS complaints come from some photographers who don't like Sony upgrading their A7 line so much, because heaven forbid that the A7/9 out-performs their DSLR dinosaur). If you don't give people the progress that they want, they will then say that they're moving onto a different platform where they won't be left behind.

This is a general observation, I'm not picking on any one person.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram

I think the irony is that the whole market and especially electronics runs on constant progress and obsoleting of prior products, whether we like it or not. And if you don't like it and move to a product or investment that has been unusually stable or offered unique returns in its market you can't be sure that will continue and it's likely you'll find yourself in a bubble. Arri did design the best sensor 9 years ago and RED just caught up very recently and released a camera with the same DR but a bigger sensor, more resolution, more framerates, and better low light in a smaller footprint for only $20k. The Arri bubble might be ready to burst.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

I'm curious to know how many people are upgrading from SW to Gemini
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #011030