Thread: Reliability of RED Cameras?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden H. View Post
    Also, I would like to ask about the noise from the fans? Are they an impeding factor in capturing good audio? I started as an Audio Engineer so I know good audio is important. But I'm not sure how to approach noise coming from the visual source. Thanks!
    Depends on a number of factors, for example:
    1) how critical you are being about the sound (one person's "quiet" is another person's "noisy")
    2) the particular scenes you're recording (a close up that you want to record quiet breathing might be an issue, but doing a stand up interview next to a busy road then the camera fan is never going to be an issue! Relatively speaking)
    3) the skill of the camera crew in knowing the settings/work arounds for not letting the fan kick in during recordings
    4) if you care about not being able to critically assess ambiances prior to rolling as well (but then again, generally the chit-chat and movements of the crew are killing your ability to do that anyway)
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Interesting timing of this thread because my Epic-W randomly wiped a mini-mag last week in the middle of a shoot.
    I'm currently working with Red Tech to get it resolved. Upon review of the camera logs they think there is a hardware issue. I've only been a red user for 1.5 years. I have a buddy that DIT's for a major tv show and they've shot on RED for 7 seasons without any hiccups like this.
    Honestly, my Epic's UI has hung up often and been laggy since the day we got it, so maybe I just got a bad one.
    CINEMATOGRAPHER | BUSINESS OWNER

Website

NAKNEK DESIGN LLC

Even Bugattis crash.

P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bros View Post
    -There is a tendency for some Red Owners to buy cheaper (3rd Party) AKS, which are what cause many of the problems

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden H. View Post
    Thank you for the heads up. Would you say the WC Pass Through Top Plate would be in the same boat in terms of issues?
    Are you joking?

Google it + Reduser. Before you brick your "brain."

I’ve had my WC top plate since I got my Epic-W 1,5 years ago. Never had any issues. The bnc port blew on my Epic-M, but that was due to user error with a paralinx arrow wireless transmitter.
    I’ve had the cameras hang a few times, but that’s very rare. Restart have always solved the problem.

It depends where and for what you use your Red camera. In remote locations,in hostile environments, heat, cold, sand and dust etc... Red cameras my be not the best choice. Arris may be a better choice. But I don't shoot in sich locations so cannot comment on that sufficiently.

Red's technology is pretty cutting edge. This has a price. One is beta testing the soft and hardware with the customer when she camera model is new in the market. The other is price stability of used cameras. Red cameras tend to lose pretty quick re-sale value. The beta testing on customers and the problems that arose in early times from problematic colour science payed much into the common bias towards Arri.

I'm on the Red train since day 1 (2008). I did all upgrades but stopped to invest into DMSC2, this may change with the new line-up and price policy. This said, I had 3 dead sensors and one project badly hit by a dying sensor problem (pattern noise). But in hindsight, now 10 years, I muss say that my Red cameras (currently Epic Dragon) did/do a remarkable job and were/are pretty reliable. The 10 years before my Red relationship I've shot almost exclusively on film and compared to that a Red camera is a safe haven.

Never lost a shot or had any trouble with the Red media. However, others have different experiences.

Hans
    Hans von Sonntag
    www.hubbertvonsonntag.com

On the hostile environment side. I’ve used all our Red cameras extensively in the mountains in winter time. Hanging out of helicopters and even dropped it of the back of a snow mobile in speed. They seem to do well in the cold at least

Been shooting RED for 6 years. From Scarlet-X to Epic-x to Epic-Dragon to Weapon MG to Weapon Helium. Never had any failures or RMAs until this year with a brand new Weapon Helium that needed a new board after two weeks. And then I've had two modules fail in the last month for unknown reasons - never had that happen before. Everything was repaired under warranty and is working great now. But if I hadn't had 5 years of seemingly indestructible RED experience, I'd have been a little worried about the Weapon.

I've shot in sand and snow and a lot of high heat and humidity with no problems over the years. I still highly recommend RED.

My only general critique would be the occasional firmware issues with new updates (the recent sound popping from the January firmware that just got fixed was a big headache for me). I think part of the new unified platform though is to mitigate these problems by having less variations in models.

And sometimes they're so ahead of the curve that it can take a while for everyone else to catch up. Helium and IPP2 are like two years old, but premiere only just started natively supporting it last month (and is still a little problematic). As someone that likes to color in premiere, it's been a little bit like my workflow took a step backwards with IPP2 (but you can still use legacy settings just fine).
    Weapon Helium #06264
    www.moviesauce.com