Thread: Rough start with my Nikon DSMC mount

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Rough start with my Nikon DSMC mount 
    After my new Scarlet-W came out of the box DOA, I was excited to get shooting when Red sent me a new replacement body. But now, I've got a fresh issue, the Nikon DSMC S35 Nikon mount I ordered from them doesn't recognize ANY of my approved Nikon lenses. I'm in a holding pattern while the Red techs look over my log file.

Anything else anyone can think of trying while I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by SiLOFiLMS View Post
    After my new Scarlet-W came out of the box DOA, I was excited to get shooting when Red sent me a new replacement body. But now, I've got a fresh issue, the Nikon DSMC S35 Nikon mount I ordered from them doesn't recognize ANY of my approved Nikon lenses. I'm in a holding pattern while the Red techs look over my log file.

Anything else anyone can think of trying while I wait?
    I’d suggest re-installing firmware with the Nikon mount attached and do8ng a “rediscover hardware” (in the maintenance menu). And perhaps try a soft cloth or a little contact cleaner on the lens mount contacts.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Auburn & Portland, ME
    www.airstream.pictures
    EPIC-M Dragon #1053

yeah rediscover may work, I am a nikon shooter and I don't even bother with electronic lenses, my milvus does read ap, what nikon lenses are you using I basically own all the electronic ones for stills

steve
    colorroomfilms.com
    Red 8K Vlog-https://www.youtube.com/c/colorroomstudio
    Epic-W #000592
    Scarlet-W #006650
    Gemini 5K #010961

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    I’d suggest re-installing firmware with the Nikon mount attached and do8ng a “rediscover hardware” (in the maintenance menu). And perhaps try a soft cloth or a little contact cleaner on the lens mount contacts.
    All of these are totally it. Reinstalling the firmware, then removing the mag, then the next bootup should give some sort of update information. Weirdly sometimes my PL mount won't respond to smart lens info and I toss the firmware mag in and BOOM, it updates. Only happened twice to me but I would definitely go through this one first and see.

I'd start with anything that does NOT require cleaning solution. David is totally correct as it might be needed, but introducing foreign substances to electronics is usually my last step in troubleshooting.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W #796

Thanks for the recommendations. I really appreciate it as I quietly try not to melt down as an unhappy new Red owner

RED got back to me and suggested rolling back my firmware to build 7.0.1.7 -- which I did.

Also did the "rediscover hardware" with a few different lenses mounted, and..... nothing.

I'm starting to develop PTSD with this camera. Someone talk me off the ledge here! I've owned dozen of nikon, canon, panasonic DSLRs and HD video cameras over the past 12 years of shooting without a hitch. Is RED known for churning out lemons? I have yet to shoot a frame with this thing but logging plenty of time with RED support.

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    The lack of nikon love made me switch to Canon.

I have approved lenses too, but none worked perfectly out of the box. Always something random that can happen. Like iris closed, no focus, no readings or lens not detected.

I sold my nikons, switched to Canon and Sigma Art. It's perfect.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    Diffraction Productions
    --Showreel--

Yeah, I preferred Nikon mounts coming from Nikon DSLRs, but since I’m more motion than I am stills, and there wasn’t much love on the Nikon glass side of things, I made the switch to Canon. Never had any issue with the mount or the glass I put onto it. I’m curious how the Sigma Cines will do. The ARTs I have work with no issue.
    #MakeItHappen...#ThatFiilmLife

Ty Hunt
    Director | Cinematographer
    Scarlet-W

www.LightHawk.studio