Thread: Panavision DXL-M

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    What I would love to buy is the DXL viewfinder. It is awesome.... It would cost more than a Monstro body but damn is it sweet
    Saw it at NAB and it was hands down the absolute best EVF I have ever seen.

What I would love to buy is the DXL viewfinder. It is awesome.... It would cost more than a Monstro body but damn is it sweet
    Well you might be able to buy an even better one within a year, David Chu and his team at INT where successful in making the very first 2,228 ppi AMOLED display on glass substrate.

The interesting point about this is that it brings in the Helium and Gemini sensors into the Panavision fold, as well.

Isn't LiColor2 designed specifically for Monstro and their custom OLPF design? I wonder if they're tuning it for each sensor/OLPF combo, or if it's more of a blanket color science that will let all the differences shine through.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    The interesting point about this is that it brings in the Helium and Gemini sensors into the Panavision fold, as well.

Isn't LiColor2 designed specifically for Monstro and their custom OLPF design? I wonder if they're tuning it for each sensor/OLPF combo, or if it's more of a blanket color science that will let all the differences shine through.
    I don't know if you've messed around with James Miller's LUT he created from the original DXL but that worked fairly well with IPP2 on Dragon/Helium.
    So if LiColor2 for DXL-M is just a blanket conversion LUT, based on what James was able to do with the original, I'd assume it would work pretty well regardless of sensor/olpf.
    Brandon Veen | Digital Curator at Hedderich's
    Epic-X Dragon #08127 + Fujifilm GFX50R + Leica BLK360

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    I talked to a Panavision Rep yesterday at the show, and he told me that just the material costs of the optical block of their EVF is more expensive then the entirety of RED's DSMC2 EVF. So even though he mentioned that they were actually looking into selling these new products, I wouldn't count on it being anywhere close to affordable. Though still worth it!
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

Talked to a Panavision rep at cinegear yesterday it sounded like, from what he said there would be LIcolor2 luts that we could download and use in post or on an external monitor for us mere mortals that can't afford a panavised dxlm to get Light Iron color science, but my searching has failed to turn these up (may not be out yet). Did just find that original DXL lut and it is NICE +1 James Miller, can't wait to find the new luts. Help a brother out if you come across them.

Interesting. I tried DXL2 LUTs with my Monstro, didn't seem to work out so well (overly saturated, heavy green tint, too contrasty) but maybe i did it wrong? I chalked it up to part of the equation being the custom OLPF.
    Last edited by Alex Bros; 06-02-2018 at 01:14 PM.

+1 hoping PV offers DSMC2 compatible AKS for sale. RedUser group buy perhaps... ;-)

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Farokhzad View Post
    Saw it at NAB and it was hands down the absolute best EVF I have ever seen.
    Have you used the Blackmagic EVF?

No one happens to have an arri log c to Licolor2 preset? Wish phils looks worked on arris too!
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com