Thread: Panavision DXL-M

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stilling View Post
    The good folks at Panavision told me that they are considering selling these accessories. They havent decided yet. They told me that we should be bombarding social media asking for it, tagging them, so they'll see that there is demand for their bits out there.
    You can have all kinds of opinions on Michael Cioni, but he sure knows how marketing and PR works.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stilling View Post
    The good folks at Panavision told me that they are considering selling these accessories. They havent decided yet. They told me that we should be bombarding social media asking for it, tagging them, so they'll see that there is demand for their bits out there.
    Electronic ND is needed yesterday. Can't believe no one made it up until now and put it on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Weatherington View Post
    Years ago Panavision was the subject of a legal action that went all the way to the FTC.
    The FTC ruled that if something is offered for rental, it must also be offered for sale, so Panavision put ridiculously high prices on the Panaflex camera that discouraged people buying them.
    One might expect the same thing here.
    What?? In what world would the FTC come to this conclusion? If you rent, you have to sell? Please provice citation for this.

I'm sure they can keep offering it exclusively too but it'd make me happy if they sold it. I really hope they sell it because many people want access to it outside of rental only access. I know ultimately they are a luxury brand and can easily limit access but red has always been enthusiastic about giving access out and it would be really cool for me to have this color science personally. I understand if ultimately it stays rental only but I personally dream of having my red more on par with there system. Perhaps I can sublease a red with them ultimately if this fails and then I can still have it anyway? But I'm open to buying it outright too

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    Electronic ND is needed yesterday. Can't believe no one made it up until now and put it on the market.
    Sony FS5 in 2015.

Tessive and Red have both already offered this tech going back a long time.
    I’m really interested in whether Panavision have overcome the inherent polarisation problem with this design.
    I have to think they’re crazy to change their rental exclusive model regardless. Creating and retaining unique hardware is their DNA.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Well John your system is a good plan b for me with custom filters outside of ND? At least if I upgrade to Gemini I can have built in ND? Plus I hope you release even more custom options. I also bothered mark at offhollywood to consider something like that in the Omod line cuz custom Olpf stuff doesn't need to remain dxl only if they choose not to sell it cuz guys like me want to differentiate our reds from the masses and will buy any products to do so available on the market, assuming someone puts them on the market to begin with like you two do

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Weatherington View Post
    Years ago Panavision was the subject of a legal action that went all the way to the FTC.
    The FTC ruled that if something is offered for rental, it must also be offered for sale, so Panavision put ridiculously high prices on the Panaflex camera that discouraged people buying them.
    One might expect the same thing here.
    You're going to have to do better than simply saying this, because I don't remember anything like that, and I doubt that others here do either. Not to mention that it sounds like a very unlikely decision for the FTC to hand down, particularly without a challenge. Not to mention that nearly every major post production software vendor (and many other companies as well) would now be violating such a rule with subscription only models.

Hardly,
    This has been around for couple of years:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...RoCmPkQAvD_BwE
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

A real equivalent product to PVs LCND has definitely not been around for years... the teck is probably not new but that is not the same thing.

The hope is with PV that they won't bring out a product with colour issues, polarisation issues or other artefacts.... Saying that, my suspicious mind is troubled when a variable ND video is shown in black in white..;-)