Thread: Panavision DXL-M

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    External one.
    Not according to Sony.

Built-in electronic Variable ND Filters

The FS5 features Sony’s unique built-in electronic variable Neutral Density (ND) filter, further expanding the depth of field capability of its large format sensor. Unlike conventional optical ND Filters, the electronic ND Filter on the FS5 can be controlled from 1/4 ND to 1/128 ND linearly. ND Filters can also be set to auto.* This makes the FS5 ideal for fast-moving shoots in changeable environments — there’s no need to change filters as lighting conditions change, and variable control makes it easy to keep depth of field under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Not according to Sony.
    Please re-read the previous posts.

BTW, Sony is notorious for having a spiel for the marketing department that omits technical details that could be seen as negatives. That is potentially forgivable, most companies stick to the positives for obvious reasons. What is irksome about Sony, is what appears to be a deliberate strategy to bury certain specs.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    BTW, Sony is notorious for having a spiel for the marketing department that omits technical details that could be seen as negatives. That is potentially forgivable, most companies stick to the positives for obvious reasons. What is irksome about Sony, is what appears to be a deliberate strategy to bury certain specs.

Cheers - #19
    I'm pretty sure everyone does that as much as they can get away with- Sony is no exception what so ever.... Sometimes they get caught but they know very well that uneducated consumer has a short attention and memory span so they don't seem bothered much with the occasional "busts". We have all the power in our wallets and absolutely refuse to use it....I have not been able to comprehend that and probably never will....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bros View Post
    Interesting. I tried DXL2 LUTs with my Monstro, didn't seem to work out so well (overly saturated, heavy green tint, too contrasty) but maybe i did it wrong? I chalked it up to part of the equation being the custom OLPF.
    Alex,

Panavision have modified the optical path on the DXL. The Colour Filter Array (CFA) that sits on top of the CMOS Monstro chip has been Panavised and changed for a "better" one. Michael Cioni said Panavision could afford to build a better CFA as cost was not a factor. This means that the chip is seeing colour in a different way to a Red Monstro. Like you I also assume that Red has a different configuration of lightwave frequency cuts built into their bespoke OLPF? This means the "out of the box" Light Iron science will not work in a Red Monstro. People can build LUTs that emulates the LIcolor2 LUT and they may get close to the look but it could never be exact as the two cameras are seeing a different balance of "colour" in any scene.
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post

Cheers - #19
    Sony maybe has an NDA with itself.

Well will the dxl M have a custom Olpf?
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Merlen View Post
    Well will the dxl M have a custom Olpf?
    That’s a pretty good question, I imagine having to only design LiColor2 to work optimally with one OLPF and three sensors (excluding the DXL2) is a lot easier than 3+ OLPFS for each sensor.
    Brandon Veen | Digital Curator at Hedderich's
    Epic-X Dragon #08127 + Fujifilm GFX50R + Leica BLK360

Quote Originally Posted by Šabović Adis View Post
    Sony maybe has an NDA with itself.
    That would explain a lot ;-)

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    Alex, Panavision have modified the optical path on the DXL. The Colour Filter Array (CFA) that sits on top of the CMOS Monstro chip has been Panavised and changed for a "better" one. Michael Cioni said Panavision could afford to build a better CFA as cost was not a factor. This means that the chip is seeing colour in a different way to a Red Monstro. (snip)
    I was under the impression that the CFA was laminated into the sensor "sandwich" and not a swappable layer. Interesting...

Cheers - #19