Thread: New iMac Pro and FCPX struggling to play 5K R3D??

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nope, the FCPX playback issue is the same regardless of which RAID the project is stored on.. can the current build of OSX or FCPX not handle SSDs? Something in the way the iMac Pro or High Sierra handles external storage is just not working with my setup. Super Frustrating
    '

Definitely not an issue with the OS or FCPX, as you said you aren't having issues on your other machines correct? I have had zero issues like this on all the iMac Pros I have tested on. Did you start from a fresh install or did you try migrating data from another system when you got it? I would try a reinstall of the OS and FCPX and then test from there probably.

How are other folks setting up and managing RAIDs on OSX? The iMac Pro has a known issue running SoftRAID, so that combo is buggy and unreliable. I wonder to what extent that is effecting my system. There's no way I could work only off internal storage. Are there other RAID options out there now that OSX doesn't natively allow making RAID volumes through disk utility?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Definitely not an issue with the OS or FCPX, as you said you aren't having issues on your other machines correct? I have had zero issues like this on all the iMac Pros I have tested on. Did you start from a fresh install or did you try migrating data from another system when you got it? I would try a reinstall of the OS and FCPX and then test from there probably.
    Thanks Andrew, yes, started fresh and migrated nothing to this system, to avoid any funny business with High Sierra. It's all rainbow wheels today... it must know I'm on a deadline :(

Wait with a new system installation. Login with another user in macOS. Still same problems?

Did you try trashing your preferences for FCP X?
    This tends to clear up any weird issues I might have.
    I didn’t see it mentioned in the thread but apologies if it was.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/ MEDIA

Thanks guys, really grateful for the trouble shooting tips. I trashed preferences with the hold option+command while launching FCPX option, which did not help, tried with deleting the actual files from the Preference folder in the Library folder and that seems to have got the system moving again... also tried setting up a new user and it also runs smoothly there, though I didn't have my Universal Audio or Sonarworks plugins loaded, so no sound (had to re-import the IPP2 LUTs to test playback). Apple Pro App support via phone was awesome.. spent an hour or so trouble shooting.

I suspect that SoftRAID's compatibility issues with the iMac Pro is one potential issue and Sonarworks / UA Audio for monitoring is another potential issue.. hopefully I can stress test both tonight and see what's up!

The SSDs, according to Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, move right around 800-900 MB/s in both read and write and are roughly 50% full.. I can't imagine that's inadequate, especially since when everything is working, 5K can playback fine at 2x, 4x... 8x, no problem. And the RAIDs work fine on my MacBook Pro too. Very strange issue!

I would bet it is the audio plugins/drivers having compatibility issues. More likely than an issue with reading and writing from the RAID I would think, even with dramatically slower disk speeds you shouldn't be seeing delays in initiating playback like you had mentioned. I would try reaching out to the developers of those plugins to see if they might already be aware of these issues and if they can replicate it. I am sure they would want to get it fixed asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beardsley View Post
    Yeah, super weird that playback is so glitchy on this system. I suspect there may be an issue running a Library off the RAID. It's a TB3 Thunderbay from OWC with 3 Crucial MX drives in RAID 0. Given the uncertainty over TRIM abilities in High Sierra, I erase it and re-raid periodically. I have three of them, and they have all been flawless for years, but this one seems to be an issue of late. It takes a system reboot every few hours to keep everything moving smoothly, though, regardless of storage location.

Beyond that, this system's video playback is not normal it won't reliably play online video via Chrome, for example. Very strange.

Apple Pro App support recommended switching to a proxy workflow.. but like you guys have said, this system should be a-ok with 5K or event 8K R3D (my Macbook Pro can work in it all day, after all, as did the previous Mac Pros I've owned)...

I'll keep digging!
    Aaahhhh !!! That explains it. External SSD / 3rd party drives need to have TRIM turned on. Your TRIM must not have been enabled and hence you experienced speed degradation.

Turn TRIM on in the command line: sudo trimforce enable