Thread: Obsessive Compulsive Registered Trademark Symbol Usage

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Obsessive Compulsive Registered Trademark Symbol Usage 
    RED marketing needs to take a serious chill pill on reminding everyone that their brand names are trademarked. Let's compare Arri's Alexa page vs RED's DSMC2 page.

Arri (and every other company on earth)
    Featuring a sensor slightly larger than full frame, ALEXA LF records native 4.5K with ARRI’s best overall image quality. This allows filmmakers to explore an immersive large-format aesthetic while retaining the sensor’s natural colorimetry, pleasing skin tones and stunning capability for HDR and WCG workflows. Versatile recording formats, including efficient ProRes and uncompressed, unencrypted ARRIRAW up to 150 fps, encompass all on-set workflow requirements.
    RED
    Our newest generation of Digital Stills and Motion Camera continues the tradition of the original DSMC ® cameras, while boasting a new intuitive design and the ability to simultaneously record in REDCODE ® RAW and Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHR/HD file formats.

A DSMC2® BRAIN is capable of data write speeds of 300 MB/s, can simultaneously record in REDCODE RAW and Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHR/HD, and is offered with three sensor options - delivering incredible dynamic range and up to 8K resolution.

In Low Light mode, GEMINI™ is RED's highest sensitivity sensor to date, with significantly increased performance in low-light situations and improved performance in shadows due to the new design.

REDCINE-X PRO® provides an advanced coloring toolset, integrated timeline, and post effects collection in a professional, flexible environment for your R3D® files. In REDCINE-X PRO, you create the look you want and export it to your RED camera or create your look in the camera and transfer to REDCINE-X PRO. REDCODE® RAW – the .R3D format – allows you to manipulate all the metadata of your images to find your perfect look.

Additionally, the latest version includes A.D.D. (Advanced Dragon Debayer), a new algorithm for the RED DRAGON® sensor that carefully analyzes every pixel to create the best frame possible.

RED®, RED CAMERA®, RED EPIC®, SCARLET®, RED ONE®, REDRAY™, MYSTERIUM®, MYSTERIUM X®, R3D®, REDCODE®, REDMOTE® and all other trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, and product names of RED used on this site are trademarks or registered trademarks of RED.COM, LLC. in the USA and other countries.
    RED® couldn't even make it through a single sentence without 2 usages of ®. It's like reading a highschooler's first website. RAD VIDEO PRODUCTIONS® has the latest in high end DSLR productions for your company! (c) 2018 Mikey Jims 193 Sunny Oaks Ct. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED!

It's an obsession with some folks. Some even use it in posts.

And actually if you don't put it there, your trademark doesn't suddenly de-register or anything - it's still perfectly valid.
    Frank Glencairn
    DOP - Director - Colorist

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I don't like capitalists, but cryptocapitalist I don't like even more.

I think this is more a difference between the states and Europe. :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

I think they should avoid using the ® and the ™ except in the tiny legal disclaimer at the bottom of the web page. I can recall there was about a 20-year period where some studios like Universal insisted on having a big, bold ® on their main title logo, which was a bit obnoxious. Eventually they calmed down and began leaving that out, but there is a legal disclaimer at the very end of their films warning that the Universal logo is a trademark.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    RED marketing needs to take a serious chill pill on reminding everyone that their brand names are trademarked. Let's compare Arri's Alexa page vs RED's DSMC2 page.

Arri (and every other company on earth)

RED

RED® couldn't even make it through a single sentence without 2 usages of ®. It's like reading a highschooler's first website. RAD VIDEO PRODUCTIONS® has the latest in high end DSLR productions for your company! (c) 2018 Mikey Jims 193 Sunny Oaks Ct. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED!
    I did have a good chuckle at all that … (very funny)…

In the old days of printed brochures I believe the first time you mention the trade name or whatever you use an asterixis (sp) and have a foot note delineating "So and so is a trade name of blah blah and so on"...

However given that a number of years ago (not soooo long ago) Jim Jannard's email account was hacked by a US based Arri representative and details of future design aspects were passed on. SONY alleged to have appropriated RED secret sauce law suits ensue (Jannard orders "cease and desist " and orders offending/ infringing cameras to be destroyed: case settled out of court with shot-gun wedding/ not so wonderful enforced cross licensing).

I always interpreted* the Totenkopf/death's head moniker as a specific F*CK YOU to Arri and others (possibly including SONY) that may have pinched and appropriated useful techniques from RED.

So perhaps it's not surprising they have a knee-jerk reaction to plaster all of that in-text/info blurbs.

Also various companies have been sued for using certain names in certain ways for example "SCARLET" (sp).

Does anyone remember the posturing and law suits of Cameron over the name Avatar vs. Avatar (last air bender) ?

Jim Jannard I think is Very much a "Brand builder" and hence very "Brand sensitive"... [Given a rough ride and short shrift maybe ? (especially as TEAM RED were the first to crack the "Nut" on useful frame rate and resolution/ number of photo-sites). ].

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

* caveat that's a personal 'eff'd up and skewed interpretation that only comes from me/ butt covering.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

RSVP'd for HYDROGEN -VIP SNEAK PEAK @ RED STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD on and for MAY 19th 2018.

(Its really a sneak peek into your future and THE future :-) )

Be there or be flat! Or at least risk feeling dimensionally challenged!