Thread: Epic-W Helium kit @ B&H?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Epic-W Helium kit @ B&H? 
    Hey everyone,
    So randomly I was perusing the B&H site today for something else, and came upon the following Epic Helium kit. Price seems decent, ready to shoot and brand new.

I was planning on buying directly from Red, but this seems like a good starting point. Thoughts?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._kit_with.html

Looks like a really nice deal specially when you factor in the lens mount, expander and batteries and media
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

They're most likely trying to offload their remaining stock since they're out of production now.

The camera by itself they have at the price of $19,500. Same price as Gemini, and puts it right at the same price as a DSMC2 Helium if you were to upgrade it for $5K down the line.
    All the accessories by themselves add up to $4551. Which saves you about $50 off buying separate (looks like in the bundle they don't charge for the work mat and sidewinder).

Biggest thing to note is that it's only a 120GB minimag, which isn't gonna hold much RAW 8K footage.
    That and the RED upgrade program to DSMC2 will end at some unannounced point.

I'd weigh the benefits between an Epic-W and a Gemini since they're the same price.
    Vincent Laforet made a really nice comparison between all three of the sensors recently:
    https://vimeo.com/273153412

Hope that helps, I wouldn't say there's really a wrong choice either, by the way.
    Brandon Veen | Digital Curator at Hedderich's
    Epic-X Dragon #08127 + Leica BLK360

Thanks for the additional info, and especially the test by Laforet. I think I would prefer to purchase from a specialized dealer instead of B&H for something like this, as I will need a few other accessories. I've used Helium a few times (filming commercials), but the Gemini samples are really nice.
    Tough choices, but glad to see that the prices have come down a bit for the end user.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Allen View Post
    Thanks for the additional info, and especially the test by Laforet. I think I would prefer to purchase from a specialized dealer instead of B&H for something like this, as I will need a few other accessories. I've used Helium a few times (filming commercials), but the Gemini samples are really nice.
    Tough choices, but glad to see that the prices have come down a bit for the end user.
    Hi Gregory,

If you're looking for a specialized dealer, we can help. I run a Red dealer (Cine Sauce) and we help people like yourself everyday select, customize, and even finance (if required) their new equipment.

https://cinesauce.com

Best,

Brett