Thread: RRX with enclosure or new iMac Pro?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Ehhhh... modular upgrades on Apple products, really...
    I'm sorry, I misread the earlier post. I thought Mike was talking about the benefits that come with NOT using Apple products. I stand corrected.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    And what are those benefits?
    Build quality, support, being an actual Mac computer there's generally no tweaking necessary to get things working, more refinement, better resale value when you decide to sell/upgrade. That's pretty much about it. If you're technically savvy, build a Hackintosh. You'll definitely get more bang for your buck up front.

In a similar boat here. I have a RRX connected via TB2 to a maxed out 2013 Apple nmp, but Helium transcoding and playback is killing in me in RCX, Adobe Pr & Ae- (Dragon 6K was so much faster). We recently lost our in-house post team and I'm one-man-banding it, so now it's not just a tech bottleneck but a staffing one as well. I'm trying to find a way to speed up the workflow while sticking with R3D's, without having to crop the sensor or switch to Prores... Thinking the new iMac with a TB3 connection to the existing RRX is the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fredericks View Post
    In a similar boat here. I have a RRX connected via TB2 to a maxed out 2013 Apple nmp, but Helium transcoding and playback is killing in me in RCX, Adobe Pr & Ae- (Dragon 6K was so much faster). We recently lost our in-house post team and I'm one-man-banding it, so now it's not just a tech bottleneck but a staffing one as well. I'm trying to find a way to speed up the workflow while sticking with R3D's, without having to crop the sensor or switch to Prores... Thinking the new iMac with a TB3 connection to the existing RRX is the best bet.
    I've got a 10-core iMac Pro, Vega 64, and RR-X connected over TB3. It will play back 8k in realtime in RCX while using about 30% of CPU, but just barely keeps up with the playhead.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    I've got a 10-core iMac Pro, Vega 64, and RR-X connected over TB3. It will play back 8k in realtime in RCX while using about 30% of CPU, but just barely keeps up with the playhead.
    Not bad for $14.000 worth of computer equipment.

Apple did great forcing ProRes as the defacto standard (in north america), hats of for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    The 10-core will do all that.. nice to know. Figure the 14 & 18 cores will be faster- or not because of the slower clock speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fredericks View Post
    The 10-core will do all that.. nice to know. Figure the 14 & 18 cores will be faster- or not because of the slower clock speed?
    The RR-X takes a lot of the load off the CPU, so with that attached then the 14/18 will not be any faster than the 10 or even the 8. Without the RR-X, then yes the 14/18 would likely be faster for playback.