Thread: Remote start/stop for audio

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander_Klose View Post
    Me too. I just asked my self the same question. Im searching for a new Audiorecorder and love the feature of the mix pre series to be triggerd via mini usb. Hope that it willl work with the cine7!
    If you need a new recorder just get the version 2 of mix pre and you could run a timecould cable to youre red and have that to trigger rec on youre recorder. I have not tested this myself as I own version 1 without timecould generator.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
    Just hire someone for it! Sound is half the resulting product, it deserve a person devoted to it.
    I think this is extremely good advice. Look at it this way: on a highly-mobile documentary, you need somebody to carry spare batteries, help wrap up lighting cables, swap out used camera SSDs, and (in worst cases) actually defend the camera operator from violence or theft out there on the streets. There are parts of LA I would not want to be walking around by myself while carrying a $50,000 camera, with nobody else around to help. There's strength in numbers.

I always say, the only exception are cases where you have to go to a one-man band system because a) it's a war where bullets are flying, or b) it's a surreptitious "hidden camera" shoot following the police or some other clandestine operaetion. For anything else, just hire a guy and put them in charge of sound, batteries, and so on. And to help guard the camera if you need a 5-minute break or to grab a meal.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Record it on camera with a good preamp = no synching necessary and one man band compatible!

Use the Sonosax M2D2 as preamp and limiter

2 channels 48V preamp.

Patrick, where did you find the holder/mount for the Sonosax?

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Thornton View Post
    Patrick, where did you find the holder/mount for the Sonosax?
    Hello I printed it.

This is actually my design (1rst draft) you can download. But you can find another 3D bracket for the M2D2 to download and to print from the Sonosax site : M2D2 accessories
    I printed it with Shapeways on PA12. Very good material and finish.

5. #25 Sound devices/mix pre3 
    The Pix E5 actually does 3 channels, one is a mini input. It also does sdi or HDMI rec trigger.
    We just did a gig with the mix pre3 and DSMC2... couldnt figure out record trigger so would love to know if its possible for those instances its under cam.
    32bit float is nice to have compared to the 24bit on the Pix.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parkin View Post
    Shame this kind of thing has to be trial and error and there are no industry standards! And that Sound Devices don't include other ways to trigger the Mix Pre, I might take mine apart and see if there's a way to hack into the start stop button and add an external trigger....
    Sound Devices does allow the industry standard way.... this is so with all of their recorders. Heck, not just Sound Devices! But all pro sound recorders, be it from Sonosax / Aaton / Tascam / Zaxcom / Zoom / whoever!

Very easy.

Here is how to do it with the MixPre3:

Rec Trigger = Timecode
    TC Mode: Aux In

Now use a cable to hook up your Slave to your Master source.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I think this is extremely good advice. Look at it this way: on a highly-mobile documentary, you need somebody to carry spare batteries, help wrap up lighting cables, swap out used camera SSDs, and (in worst cases) actually defend the camera operator from violence or theft out there on the streets. There are parts of LA I would not want to be walking around by myself while carrying a $50,000 camera, with nobody else around to help. There's strength in numbers.

I always say, the only exception are cases where you have to go to a one-man band system because a) it's a war where bullets are flying, or b) it's a surreptitious "hidden camera" shoot following the police or some other clandestine operaetion. For anything else, just hire a guy and put them in charge of sound, batteries, and so on. And to help guard the camera if you need a 5-minute break or to grab a meal.
    Would you really want the extra stress of worrying about audio as well while filming in a war zone?

I'd say even then an audio technician can still be justified!

The hard part though is finding someone brave / stupid enough to join you, and being able to pay his price that he demands to justify putting his life on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander_Klose View Post
    Me too. I just asked my self the same question. Im searching for a new Audiorecorder and love the feature of the mix pre series to be triggerd via mini usb. Hope that it willl work with the cine7!
    Eh? Nothing on the planet gets triggered by TC over USB. You're thinking of HDMI
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding