Thread: Don't turn on lens IS while recording

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Don't turn on lens IS while recording 
    Senior Member Christopher S Johnson's Avatar
    So here's a fun one I found... I was recording an interview shooting handheld on my SW, and turned on the Image Stabilization on my Canon 24-105, and about 30 seconds later the fans kicked into super high gear, and froze the camera with a line through the image. It wouldn't load the clip on camera, but when I offloaded it the clip ends where I turned on the IS with a loud BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ. Long/short, don't turn IS while rolling.

Interesting. Could be the extra power draw confuses the camera in Recording mode, as then a lot of menu changes are locked out, but obviously it can't lock out a hard switch change on the lens.

It might just be a coincidence though, as it took 30 seconds for the issue to occur.

Can you do a couple of tests (obviously not during a shoot!).

If you can reproduce the issue reliably, then worth flagging to Red Support so that they might be able include a "ignore lens mount IS during Recording" instruction in their next firmware.

If you can't then maybe the two things were actually not directly related.
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

I just did (S-W 7.0.3 + Canon 24-105mm IS) and the camera is not responded to my button presses! Had to hard reset to shut down and the recorded file is damaged (couldn't be played in camera).

And after looking through edit it wasn't 30 seconds, it was 8 and a half minutes between where the clip ends (when the IS is turned on) and when the fans kicked on high and the camera bricks. The clip was rescuable up to where the IS came on, but the 8 and a half minutes after were gone, and the clip wouldn't mount on the camera.

I was just about to post this. This just happened on a rental with my Epic-W. 7.0.3 I have since tested on another Epic-W and confirm this is a bug. This ruined a pretty major shoot day for a client.

how did you recover the clips? Redundead? Need to know ASAP. Thank you so much!!!!!!

I tested on my Epic-X Dragon DSMC on an older firmware and this did not happen on that camera/firmware. I will post the version in a little bit. EpicX Dragon is on 6.3.27
    http://www.radiumcamera.com
    http://www.cinetechshow.com

SILICON VALLEY Rental house
    Red Epic-W 8k Helium - Red Epic-x Dragon 6K - Scarlet-W 5K - Ursa Mini Pro - FS7 - A7S
    Zeiss CP.2 Kit- GL Optics 18-35mm T2 300 degree version - Cooke 18-100 T3

Although the clip wouldn't load on camera it ingested normally. The only catch being that the clip cut off at the exact moment I turned on IS, so I lost the next 8 and a half minutes of the clip.

Montana, Alabama, Florida, or one of the other states
    That's crazy, will definitely keep in mind. Thanks for the info!

The biggest problem is that there is no indication that you are not still rolling. If you have a 20 minute clips you wont know until you stop the record.
    http://www.radiumcamera.com
    http://www.cinetechshow.com

SILICON VALLEY Rental house
    Red Epic-W 8k Helium - Red Epic-x Dragon 6K - Scarlet-W 5K - Ursa Mini Pro - FS7 - A7S
    Zeiss CP.2 Kit- GL Optics 18-35mm T2 300 degree version - Cooke 18-100 T3

wow, that's crazy! I shoot on the 24-105 often and almost always have the IS on