Thread: BEST Lightweight Tripod for RUN & GUN with EPIC-W???

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Also have had great experiences with both my Manfrotto 536 carbon legs but don't personally have a favorite head since the head changes with the need. The 536's have just taken a beaten and keep on doing what they need to do.

I'm not gentle with tripods by any means, rarely put them in the case, tend to throw them around (without the brain on it).

Whenever I see a set cheap on eBay I always put in a low bid and hope for the best.

Scarlet-W

Gitzo is my favorite lightweight legs. I usually use a 5 serie at 2.8kg but the 3 serie is 2kg

/Andreas
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    www.THUNDOOR.com- Visually poetic images and stories that matter
    Epic X #3734, CF Weapon Helium Strummer Bright Tangerine, Sachtler Video 20 S1, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000

Have had a Miller Arrow 50 for years and is what I rely on for smooth pans and tilts. Anything too light and you may lose smoothness. Admittedly, I have a heavier rig than most, but I like it that way...helps me burn calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Williams View Post
    I unfortunately second this. Currently have a manfrotto 502 head, it is horrible. Have the manfrotto 755cx3 tripod that I mount the slider to, it's not terrible since it has a build in ball. But my next purchase will be a sachtler/miller/oconner
    I've had several Manfrottos heads, never again ! Sachtler is my choice now for run and gun

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    20 pounds is light.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Helium S35

I personally like the Sachtler speedlock 75mm tripod. It's true they need regular maintenance, but they are small, light, efficient and quick.
    For heads it's a little more difficult. The Really Right Stuff FH-350 is a great one, but quite expensive. It's a touch smaller than a Sachtler FSB4, but in your appropriate weight range. Otherwise, you can look for an OConnor 515 or Ultimate DV head, however they have 100mm bowls, so the Sachtler Speedlock CF (not CF HD) would be a good choice.

+1 Sachtler. I have a Sachtler FSB6 + Manfrotto 535 legs. Very lightweight.

I have 536 carbon fiber legs too and are awesome. Can’t complain at all. I coupled them with a 509HD, might not the best out there, butis pretty damn good for the price.
    RAVEN #00886

Have a look at Miller Solo kits. Great for run n gun and the DS10/DS20 heads have great fluid action. Haven't tried the newer Miller Air but that might be even better (lighter) depending on the weight of your rig.
    Filmmaker - Photographer - Designer
    www.eperez.tv