Thread: Monstro and 4x4 filters

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Monstro and 4x4 filters 
    Just a little heads up for anyone prepping a Monstro Package or buying a Monstro camera that 4"x4" filters just don't cover. A 4"x4" filter struggles to even cover a 50mm lens ! 4"x5.6" filters are probably as small as you want to go. I do not have any 138mm rounds to test but if you are using wide focal lengths you would want to try them out. I would love to hear from anyone using 138mm rounds?
    Tom Gleeson

My best advice is to always use 4x5.65". There's a variety of reasons that 4x4" isn't exactly a motion picture standard traditionally. Coverage being the main culprit :) 6x6" when you need to use big zooms or something similar.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    Just a little heads up for anyone prepping a Monstro Package or buying a Monstro camera that 4"x4" filters just don't cover. A 4"x4" filter struggles to even cover a 50mm lens ! 4"x5.6" filters are probably as small as you want to go. I do not have any 138mm rounds to test but if you are using wide focal lengths you would want to try them out. I would love to hear from anyone using 138mm rounds?
    I have an old but excellent ARRI LMB-3 (4" x 4" 2 tray clip-on with a rubber hood) & use it on almost every MONSTRO shoot I've done.

Coverage is down to the front element size & not really the sensor.

Stu.
    Stuart Graham U.S.
    Stuart Graham Outside of the U.S.

Stuart,

I suspect your LMB3 is getting the filters closer to the front element than my Bright Tangerine Matte Box. It makes sense that coverage is also influenced by the increased FOV of your lenses as the sensor increases. Thats been my experience.
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    Stuart,

I suspect your LMB3 is getting the filters closer to the front element than my Bright Tangerine Matte Box. It makes sense that coverage is also influenced by the increased FOV of your lenses as the sensor increases. Thats been my experience.
    I love the Bright Tangerine MB's they're great huh?

Closer than a STRUMMER for sure & probably the same as the MISFIT.

Next project is to make the LMB-3 have a tilting function...just never stops ha ha.
    Stuart Graham U.S.
    Stuart Graham Outside of the U.S.

To increase coverage with wide angles, monstro and BT matte boxes we have done a very slight, and simple, modification where we remove the tiny lip in the step down rings that stops the lens slipping forward.

Ps a 20mm sigma on a Monstro has nearly the same FOV as a 12mm UP shooting on a 435... we never expected even PV filters to cover that lens... we can get PV filters to work with the sigma 20mm on a Monstro (which save money)... with a little bit of care we have got a strummer and a PV filters to cover the 14mm sigma which is crazy wide in 8k... basically you have similar FOV as a 8mm UP on film...

PPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Graham View Post
    I love the Bright Tangerine MB's they're great huh?
    My favourite MB of all time is the misfit atom.... I imagine everyone has one in their bag. Kind of a super stripped down successor to the LMB3