Thread: F**k the Numbers (Geoff Boyle)

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    How about... "Love the Numbers".

I do.
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post

I do.
    I kind of get the impression that Boyle is saying the same thing with the opposite words.

Make a camera good enough so you don't have to worry about the numbers anymore.
    Ban lossy compression and stop whining about the excessive amount of space full RAW uses (Storage is freaking cheap these days).

Bayer sensors are not a problem, just make sure it has enough pixels to make a decent high resolution RGB image.
    Rule of thumb 1.5x horizontal/vertical resolution and some extra when the OLPF blocks a little to much.

I too feel that image quality has degraded over the last several decades. The most common pictures today are from bloody iPhones.
    It takes something like a Digital Medium-Format Hasselblad and some well-positioned lighting to create a fine art picture worthy of praise, and worthy of public presentation for the people looking at it to appreciate it.

For moving pictures, presented on the big screen, motion is as important as the pictures flowing within it.
    The pictures take a bit less of a roll, as they hit our eyes rapidly, but when we see movie scenes of very little camera movement and little action happening in the scene - it's then that you come to appreciate the quality of the pictures, and you're left with awe.
    When a good story is well directed, well cut & edited, well color-graded and well audio recorded - it's the most rewarding feeling for the viewer enveloped with this amazing story-telling visage.

With all that said, I also feel that (high-end) digital is finally catching up with film. Today's tools, such as Red DSMC2, Arri Large-Format & Sony Venice, to name a few, seem to me like they're at the level of quality that is finally getting us to what we've lost a few decades ago.
    Last edited by Eric Z; Yesterday at 08:37 AM.
    "Don't under-estimate the amateur photographer. The latest HW & SW empower him to achieve results just as good as yours".
    Nothing beats a Master Prime!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 24GB RAM, i5-3570K, Intel 520 120GB SSD - Win7 Pro SP1 x64, Dell U2713H 27" 10bit @ 2560x1440@60Hz (via miniDP).

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post

I do.
    Maybe that's what he meant with fuck the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Brian Dada View Post
    Amazing new video up on YouTube under Cooke's channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko_V...ature=youtu.be
    Up to interpretation, obviously. But in my opinion some of the responses are missing Boyle's point. My interpretation of that point being that we become overly obsessed with the "numbers", overly obsessed with the tech and tech talk. But an individual who knows next to nothing about sLog or color space or any of the tech side can go out and create visually compelling images, if not visually stunning images. And there are individuals highly knowledgeable in the technical side of things, in the numbers and the science, who don't produce visually compelling work and, as the saying goes, can't shoot their way out of a paper bag. All of the tech, the numbers, doesn't have all that much to do with creating visually compelling imagery. Cinematography is more emotional than it is scientific. But we ( the industry in general ) fall into being calculating about it. The tech, the calculating and the numbers, are more about the science of the electronic image than about cinematography itself. Cinematography, or great cinematography at least, is about self-expression, emotion, and "art".

I don't think Boyle necessarily contradicted himself with the comments about Sound of Music being so stunning after undergoing modern processing. Maybe he was only saying that the modern processing caused him to better see how visually stunning is the cinematography of Sound of Music.
    The "numbers" benefit great cinematography but the numbers are not what make the cinematography great. That would be the light, the composition, the color, the camera movement, and the emotion the cinematography elicits in the viewer. Numbers are cold, emotionless, and calculated. Cinematography is not and should not be. Cinematography is a feeling and not a math equation.

The numbers are a tool in cinematography but cinematography is mostly about emotion. Don't get caught up in the numbers and forget the emotion.

"F*ck" the numbers" is hyperbole with a point and not to be taken literally. He's warning not to let the numbers take over to the detriment of emotion and passion. Or at least I think that is what he is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    The "numbers" benefit great cinematography but the numbers are not what make the cinematography great. That would be the light, the composition, the color, the camera movement, and the emotion the cinematography elicits in the viewer. Numbers are cold, emotionless, and calculated. Cinematography is not and should not be. Cinematography is a feeling and not a math equation. The numbers are a tool in cinematography but cinematography is mostly about emotion. Don't get caught up in the numbers and forget the emotion.
    Thank you -- I think that's exactly the right attitude.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

"Fuck the numbers!"?!

How about ditching the Math completely, and revert to Numerology?

It's like saying: "I don't want to know about letters, I just want to write books", or "I'm not interested in working, I just want the money"..."Ima peacock, goddammit, lemme fly!".

Without the right brush and paint it's hard to make a good painting.

The Beta's first have to make, build, engineer, etc... something before the alpha's and creatives can use it.

Without the numbers no paint, brushes, camera's, display's etc...

At the end it's the combination of all things that make the picture (or you have to be Leonardo Davinci).