Thread: F**k the Numbers (Geoff Boyle)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 F**k the Numbers (Geoff Boyle) 
    Amazing new video up on YouTube under Cooke's channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko_V...ature=youtu.be

Scarlet-W

i do love this and the comparisons and the argument taken about composition makes the image and the passion from which its told. that aside he contradicts himself when talking of the sound of music, shoot on 65mm scanned at 8K and projected in 4k and its absolutely stunning. isn't this exactly what the premise of reds oversampling is all about? i cat argue with Mr. Boyle, at all, i'm not an expert, far from it. but its aways interesting when someone argues against something only to quote the counter argument to support their side.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Brian Dada View Post
    Amazing new video up on YouTube under Cooke's channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko_V...ature=youtu.be

Fuck the arguments. Make pictures.

Numbers or whatever he is calling it numbers are the tools we use to make a picture. Chemestry or even painting wasn't less technical than numbers today. People have to know their craft and some master it.

Great
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Geoff’s overall point is a good one. Sometimes we can get too caught up in the technical minutia. Cinematography by its very nature is technical but obviously it is the artistic component that leads to the amazing cinematography he refers to. Film and digital acquisition will always be unique mediums and both have strengths and weaknesses but both have potential to make an audience react emotionally and it’s all about the craft and care put into the storytelling. To that extent, I agree with Geoff, screw the numbers. If you can move an audience to the desired emotion, you have accomplished something and the audience doesn’t care how you got there. The important thing is you knew how to get there, hence the marriage of the technician and the artist.
    Steve Sherrick

I say...

If you can, know the numbers, then manipulate the numbers, and then fuck the numbers if you care to.

A truly great film seen on VHS tape is better then a truly poor film seen projected on 70mm.

:)
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

Geoff helped me a lot when we were prepping 3D Amazing Spiderman. He is a wealth of knowledge. I have disagreed with him many times but what he is saying here is totally correct. We use tools that are appropriate for the story, for the visuals. Large format can be limiting vis-a-vis depth of field.
    We should shoot what is right for the project: format, lenses, cameras. Matty laBatique who is both a friend and an amazing DP uses both 35mm film and 16mm film as well as Red cameras on different projects because of what the story and visual concept calls for.
    65mm film is not "better" than Vistavision or Monstro VV or 16mm film or even Super 8.
    Many of us get caught up (me included) in the technical and the equipment of it all.

We need to service the story and the director visually. That's it.

Geoff is a very bright guy who does good work, and I agree 100% with his conclusions.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Love this.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing, Adam. I really enjoyed that.

I agree with all of what he said, even though he obviously contradicted himself. A few points which I think all of you picked up on:

1. Painting isn't photography.

2. Numbers matter for the engineers that make our equipment, and they matter to the people who create images.

3. The audience does not need to worry about numbers, because the engineers and the DP and the color timer have already done the worrying (and hopefully they worried rightly).

(Bonus point because it just popped into my head): Fuck orange on teal. Fuck it straight to hell.

Peter, I agree with your sentiment in general. But I would like to suggest, as a non-DP, that some formats (pick your favourite) would never be inappropriate solutions. For example, if The Golden Girls was shot on 35mm, would it lose anything? Would soap operas lose anything if they were shot on 35mm? Just playing devil's advocate here.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)