Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Is RED a Terrible Company?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I avoid DSMC1 like the plague and have had no issues with DSMC2.

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLOFiLMS View Post
    My Scarlet - W ownership has been the stuff of nightmares so far. And I'm not being dramatic.

Purchased a Scarlet new from B&H only to build it up and learn it was DOA. With the lag-time of trouble shooting via RED support spent at least a week troubleshooting before they finally decided it was time to send it in.

While this is going on, I tally up the number or pro video and still cameras I bought over the last two decades of shooting from Nikon, Panasonic, Canon and Sony and count all the cameras that have come out of the box bricked. I add them all up and the grand total is: ZERO. Not a good start, but I'm patient.

Sit on my hands until they decided my unit was beyond repair, and sent me a new one. Yay, I can start shooting!

Not so fast: New Scarlet brain arrives but the Nikon lens mount I got (from RED) didn't connect or talk to any of my Nikon lenses that were on the approved RED Nikon list. Back to the support ticket route, more trouble shooting and... nothing.

Finally RED offers to send me a new Nikon mount, or exchange for a Canon mount. It seems like from this forum and google searches, so few people were able to make Nikon mounts work, I decided to bite the bullet and go Canon, even though it will mean buying new lenses.

Send my Nikon mount in, check FedEx, it's signed for at RED by "M ORTIZ" on June 13. Wait a week.. nothing... send an email... nothing... send a 2nd email... nothing... TWO WEEKS later, send a THIRD email... NOTHING.

I'm out $20k for a Scarlet-W build, and have yet to shoot a frame. At this point, how am I ever supposed to like or respect this company EVER?!?

Seriously, am I just having some horrible luck, or is RED just a joke that I wasn't in on?!
    Sorry Silo you had such a bad experience. You are right.. it is a total clusterfuck right now...

When I announced the unified body with a new direction I mentioned it was going to be painful for us , and it was.

I ripped the bandaid off our company probably a little too fast and changed way too many things at the same time..... We suddenly had a massive surge of orders and at the same time we did a internal reorganization as well as implemented a new customer service software system that was long overdue that had a ton of issues.. it took us 5 minutes to do something that should of taken 5 seconds.

Still working out those bugs but it was just the perfect storm that you got caught in. You can email me at Jarred@red.com and ill personally take a look at whats going on with your order and get someone to make sure you are sorted.

I truly am sorry... to everyone that got stuck in the last month of drama. It will make things much better down the road, but the pain is real right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Sorry Silo you had such a bad experience. You are right.. it is a total clusterfuck right now...

When I announced the unified body with a new direction I mentioned it was going to be painful for us , and it was.

I ripped the bandaid off our company probably a little too fast and changed way too many things at the same time..... We suddenly had a massive surge of orders and at the same time we did a internal reorganization as well as implemented a new customer service software system that was long overdue that had a ton of issues.. it took us 5 minutes to do something that should of taken 5 seconds.

Still working out those bugs but it was just the perfect storm that you got caught in. You can email me at Jarred@red.com and ill personally take a look at whats going on with your order and get someone to make sure you are sorted.

I truly am sorry... to everyone that got stuck in the last month of drama. It will make things much better down the road, but the pain is real right now.
    Can't complain about RED I had difficulties with my SW as well when the sensor burned just a few weeks in. They did everything they could to have me back up and running again and were very kind, patient and helpful throughout the process.

Lately I've been meaning to send my SW in for a check-up but decided to hold on seeing how hectic it is over there and can't risk missing the cam on some projects. But will send it once things are back on their feet again.

I do think somethings need to get better such as repair price/new cam price ratio. Some repairs are very very expensive and to the point that it makes more sense to buy a new cam.
    Featured on Shot On Red.
    RED Scarlet-W Owner.

Mario Gonsalves
    Director / DOP
    www.mariogonsalves.com

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Gonsalves View Post
    I do think somethings need to get better such as repair price/new cam price ratio. Some repairs are very very expensive and to the point that it makes more sense to buy a new cam.
    Agree with that Mario. That's part of the overhaul but its gonna take some time. It's the crux of our success and why I made such a drastic change to pretty much everything. One day you wake up and you realize you turned into a big company with a ton of overheard and miss-aligned priorities and although that seems great , all those costs of feeding an army trickle down into everything, including repairs. We are in the middle of fixing that. You saw the first stage of that with our camera prices, repairs will be something that comes along down the line. Just don't expect it ever to get down to the same price as it costs to fix your toaster :)

Agree with that Mario. That's part of the overhaul but its gonna take some time. It's the crux of our success and why I made such a drastic change to pretty much everything. One day you wake up and you realize you turned into a big company with a ton of overheard and miss-aligned priorities and although that seems great , all those costs of feeding an army trickle down into everything, including repairs. We are in the middle of fixing that. You saw the first stage of that with our camera prices, repairs will be something that comes along down the line. Just don't expect it ever to get down to the same price as it costs to fix your toaster :)
    Really looking forward to that. Thanks for the update Jarred!
    Featured on Shot On Red.
    RED Scarlet-W Owner.

Mario Gonsalves
    Director / DOP
    www.mariogonsalves.com

Silo,

I'd be really interested to hear how your story and impressions end up?
    Do let us know how it goes for you and your camera.
    I hope you can get out shooting very soon and put all this behind you! Good luck!

I agree with Tim, if the accessories you have will work, it will be best to upgrade to Gemini DSMC2. from your post If I were RED I will make Silo one of the first DSMC2 Gemini owners. After his ordeal he is still very enthusiastic. If Silo pays for the upgrade an Epic W Gemini should be sent to him in the interim.

Jarred,

You continue to impress me with posts like this. As much as I love Red, I was really dismayed by the chorus of excuses made in this thread for a situation that was obviously not right. Yesterday, I almost made a post to that effect, but decided not to stir that pot. Your post is spot on—apologizing directly, giving reasons, but not excuses. Your directness and candor is one of the things I appreciate most about Red. Thank you.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Auburn & Portland, ME
    www.airstream.pictures
    EPIC-M Dragon #1053

Also impressed by the willingness and determination to keep the company fit and healthy enough to keep pushing forward. Having the ability to see what needs to be done and to make the hard decisions is a large part of what got RED where they are imo.
    Last edited by Les Hillis; 07-02-2018 at 10:20 AM.