Thread: Monstro initial thoughts

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Red should come up with new solution something like Alexa Mini has.Shouldnt be a rocket science right?
    EPIC-X DRAGON 7424

Solution for what?

Quote Originally Posted by Šabović Adis View Post
    Solution for what?
    internal nd filters.
    EPIC-X DRAGON 7424

Quote Originally Posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
    internal nd filters.
    ??

Motion mount?

Motion mount is not a good solution due to light loss. A better solution is the kippertie revolva which is a lens mount that has internal ND and is just hitting the market. It's red approved and won't void your warranties
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    Alexa M package
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Epic W package
    Oconnor 2060

Red Rocket X with rMBP, FCPX, Avid MC8, and Resolve Lite 14 in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Motion mount is brilliant and seems to cover much more of the monstro than I expected. Could not se any problems with a Celere 25mm at 8K but I need to do more testing.
    It takes around 60 secs to change mount, if you need to use the lowlight power of the sensor.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Merlen View Post
    Motion mount is not a good solution due to light loss. A better solution is the kippertie revolva which is a lens mount that has internal ND and is just hitting the market. It's red approved and won't void your warranties
    Have you tested it? Or just recomend it on hear say?

As in theory it sounds great. But my worry is the 4 extra glas surfaces between the lens and the sensor. And the fact that it has a open slot facing upward for the filter tray. Gravity makes dust dust trickle downwards. The seal between the disc and the mount must be quite something and the layers of glass will for sure alter the look of any given lens in terms of flaring etc. Possibly not as much as the motion mount mount but considering the motion mount only has two surfaces of glass I can only speculate what the Kipper tie mount will introduce, I have not tried it so have no personal experience of it. So Im curious to hear, see tests etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens Jakob Thorsen View Post
    Motion mount is brilliant and seems to cover much more of the monstro than I expected. Could not se any problems with a Celere 25mm at 8K but I need to do more testing.
    It takes around 60 secs to change mount, if you need to use the lowlight power of the sensor.
    The motion mount is great but not to be used as a ND. If it was then Im sure they would named it ND mount. When used as an ND the motion mount introduce some artfacts especially when shooting wide open. So it kind of kills it as an ND solution if you ask me.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Have you tested it? Or just recomend it on hear say?

As in theory it sounds great. But my worry is the 4 extra glas surfaces between the lens and the sensor. And the fact that it has a open slot facing upward for the filter tray. Gravity makes dust dust trickle downwards. The seal between the disc and the mount must be quite something and the layers of glass will for sure alter the look of any given lens in terms of flaring etc. Possibly not as much as the motion mount mount but considering the motion mount only has two surfaces of glass I can only speculate what the Kipper tie mount will introduce, I have not tried it so have no personal experience of it. So Im curious to hear, see tests etc.

The motion mount is great but not to be used as a ND. If it was then Im sure they would named it ND mount. When used as an ND the motion mount introduce some artfacts especially when shooting wide open. So it kind of kills it as an ND solution if you ask me.
    Cant really say I have seen a lot of artifacts in the 3+ years I have used the motion mount in many, many different situations with many different lenses, primarily as ND and mostly below f4. I am sure that if it was not meant to be used as an ND, there would not be an ND-function let alone an ND ONLY-function. Off cause if you dial it up to beyond where the recommendation stops, then you start to see some funny stuff, mostly colour wise. What articfacts are you talking about Björn?
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

I've updated my album of Red Monstro Scenic Stills from Macau. Color corrected in Luminar 2018 and Lightroom. The amount of dynamic range and color information in these files is just jaw dropping. Seriously, this is it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126716...57692912357950
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jens Jakob Thorsen View Post
    Cant really say I have seen a lot of artifacts in the 3+ years I have used the motion mount in many, many different situations with many different lenses, primarily as ND and mostly below f4. I am sure that if it was not meant to be used as an ND, there would not be an ND-function let alone an ND ONLY-function. Off cause if you dial it up to beyond where the recommendation stops, then you start to see some funny stuff, mostly colour wise. What articfacts are you talking about Björn?
    Check the red manual. The artfiact ar listed there some odd looking DOF stuff when shooting wide open. Lot of people tend to use NDs to be able to shoot more open.... then the artifacts kicks in. But sure if you are at 5.6 and use it moderatly then it works great.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo