Thread: Monstro initial thoughts

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    More thoughts: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...o9b7275ofJtybv

D.E.B. actually works in underexposed areas and gets rid of the weird nasty magenta. I thought on the Helium sensor it just made a blocky noise (not really changing much of the magenta).

However, when looking at Sony Venice it doesn't seem to have the weird nasty magenta when underexposed, could be because of better black shading? (auto-black shading)

Never-the-less, fixable with D.E.B. just another step in post it seems.
    Monstro, Dragon, A7S II
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    Corporate G&E Package
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

David just saw this.

After raising the image up and with a lite correction, even before the heavy noise reduction, I didn't see much magenta in her black pants and only a little in her grey top.

Last edited by rand thompson; 08-14-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    David just saw this.

After raising the image up and with a lite correction, even before the heavy noise reduction, I didn't see much magenta in her black pants and only a little in her grey top.

Yeah, I dunno what the mods did, but they messed up some threads, including this one so I don't think it updates properly.

Anywho, nice correction. I was trying to push the sensor for under exposure. It's hard to get a true sense because I would never really shoot anyone's skin this underexposed unless I was trying to hide them in shadow, but more so it's the shirt that is strange to me because if it's not magenta it has some artifacts and blocky textures.

I've been working so much that I have had time to properly test the sensor. Going to be doing some more, hopefully soon.
    Monstro, Dragon, A7S II
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    Corporate G&E Package
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

David, Yeah

A lot of threads are being moved around, I think so that things stay "freshen up'' around here, kind of like a Reduser Spring cleaning. I had to track down a couple of threads myself. I figured this was a test to see how magenta would rear its ugly head on the Monstro sensor when the shadows were raised significantly.

I think its just some of the inherent design of the Monstro Sensor, Which like the Sony Venice, Has its strengths and weaknesses. Here is Pic and a video of a test of the Sony Venice by Cinematographer Alfonso Parra AEC, ADFC and at about the 19:44 minute mark he discusses his findings of the noise characteristics of the Sony Venice, especially how the RGB channels remain so close together in the shadows because there is the same amount of noise in all three channels.

Last edited by rand thompson; 08-14-2018 at 04:04 PM.