Thread: Scarlet X DOA

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Yount View Post
    I think I can say the following because I too, own a Scarlet MX. While it is frustrating to a degree that it is no longer supported, you have to look at why. RED isn't just abandoning the thing. The parts that make up these cameras are not available forever. That's the just the way it is. Think of it like this. You make a spiffy new product that everybody loves, and part of the product is a BetaMax tape. Then one day, the world moves on, and nobody makes BetaMax tapes anymore. One of your customers shows up with a broken one of your spiffy products and guess what, the part that needs replacing is a BetaMax tape. What do you do? Start up manufacturing for BetaMax tapes? Probably not. Sure, you can (maybe) get Canon or Sony to fix your camera from 2011...but I would not count on it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cassette...90386853&psc=1
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

That's awesome!! You will notice it says only 5 left in stock...and...Sony Beta Cassette High Grade (Single) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

That's awesome!! You will notice it says only 5 left in stock...and...Sony Beta Cassette High Grade (Single) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Sony-Beta-L-7....c100855.m4779
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

I think I will stock up!
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes

Joking aside, as a manufacturer you have to draw a line for repairs / parts. Cars is maybe 10 years, electronics it’s like 3 or so years seems like. If my 4 year old LG TV takes a crap my guess there would be a PC version of “fuq off, buy a new one”

RED addresses this reality by having an upgrade path which, not perfect, helps to keep everyone in the fat part of the support curve. If you don’t plan on being on the sometimes expensive upgrade train, then maybe renting is for you. Ownership of quickly deprecating, short-run boutique electronic assets has its risks. If you can’t pay it off in 24 months or less then perhaps rent it per project instead
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

I agree with you that technology do move on.. But in that case how about giving the millions of MX owners an option of replacing the Betamax tape to the new technology rather than trying to make them spend another 20k to 45k.. Not everyone Red Owner have that kind of money to throw after the new toy every two years...
    I think I can say the following because I too, own a Scarlet MX. While it is frustrating to a degree that it is no longer supported, you have to look at why. RED isn't just abandoning the thing. The parts that make up these cameras are not available forever. That's the just the way it is. Think of it like this. You make a spiffy new product that everybody loves, and part of the product is a BetaMax tape. Then one day, the world moves on, and nobody makes BetaMax tapes anymore. One of your customers shows up with a broken one of your spiffy products and guess what, the part that needs replacing is a BetaMax tape. What do you do? Start up manufacturing for BetaMax tapes? Probably not. Sure, you can (maybe) get Canon or Sony to fix your camera from 2011...but I would not count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerson Raymond View Post
    I agree with you that technology do move on.. But in that case how about giving the millions of MX owners an option of replacing the Betamax tape to the new technology rather than trying to make them spend another 20k to 45k.. Not everyone Red Owner have that kind of money to throw after the new toy every two years...
    There are maybe several thousand MX owners, not millions. The cost of supporting them is has no ROI. RED is a business not a hobby.

I'm getting the 4 year Red Armor as part of the Gemini upgrade. After 4 years the cam brain needs to be written off as an expense in my mind. If it lasts a 5th year and/or RED has another upgrade program that makes sense then great.

Again, if the RED expensive upgrade method of keeping everyone in a financially sustainable, support group (the DMSC2 form factor and 3 or so brains currently) isn't within your business means, then renting is for you. No one owned a cinema camera until recently. Historically it was strictly a rental line item on the production budget.

Invest in lenses and rent the brain perhaps. Rare lenses have longterm value and can be rehoused. Electronics . . . not so much
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    There are maybe several thousand MX owners, not millions. The cost of supporting them is has no ROI. RED is a business not a hobby.

I'm getting the 4 year Red Armor as part of the Gemini upgrade. After 4 years the cam brain needs to be written off as an expense in my mind. If it lasts a 5th year and/or RED has another upgrade program that makes sense then great.

Again, if the RED expensive upgrade method of keeping everyone in a financially sustainable, support group (the DMSC2 form factor and 3 or so brains currently) isn't within your business means, then renting is for you. No one owned a cinema camera until recently. Historically it was strictly a rental line item on the production budget.

Invest in lenses and rent the brain perhaps. Rare lenses have longterm value and can be rehoused. Electronics . . . not so much
    What he said...
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes

I think part of the issue is that these early cameras are still remarkably competitive and relevant in the filmmaking world! There’s still people who claim the RED One MX has the most filmic sensor RED’s ever made and yet it’s discontinued and no longer able to get parts. The thought of being able to go back to certain older 4K cameras and sensors like these for certain projects is a nice idea, much like selecting a different film stock, and still be able to function in the current 4K world as it is. This was the time these cameras were made for and yet they’re now left in the dust at what should be their prime, especially for early adopters who worked and basically fought through the “HD is all you need” mantra of the time. It’s just kind of a shame really, especially since, again, these cameras are absolutely competitive options to the newer cameras on the market. We just got done filming our first feature on a RED One MX, my dream camera from college, and the footage looks fantastic and we had just about every feature we could need ready to go, especially that nice 120fps 2K slow motion, all without needing another specialized camera on the side. Looking ahead, I can absolutely see using the RED One MX again but even during this film we were heavily debating purchasing a used RED Epic and even a Scarlet to be a physically lighter and overall smaller B-roll camera but no deals popped up in time that worked for us. Now seeing this thread I suppose it was a saving grace as that last of the line support was something I thought would go on for a few more years yet at least. Now it really is time to look at something else, possibly renting, or hope that the film makes enough so we can pony up to a DSMC2 camera. I guess from now on unless the DSMC1 cameras drop down to a more affordable price, we’ll have to look elsewhere for more reliably supported cameras. The wildest hope would be for someone to make new replacement boards but I don’t know how that would be handled or by whom.