Thread: Scarlet X DOA

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Scarlet X DOA 
    Hey
    I am just going to throw this out there and see if anybody has any suggestions. My Scarlet - X has stopped booting up entirely, Red light is on at power switch and when pushed it turns fans on but no video
    from any port. Fan runs irregular as well. Side Handle does not power up either.

I have tried to restore by holding down switch and forcing firmware install. So I tried to get a repair ticket but they emailed me back and said they no longer will do any repairs
    to the Scarlet-X cameras at all.

So any advice would be greatly appreceited and I know this has been a problem for other people but have never read a resolution.

I guess at this point I just need to scrap the camera body completely.

Thanks in advance

Dana Gonzales , ASC
    Dana W. Gonzales
    www.danagonzales.com

I understood that the repairs were limited....not completely DOA...
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

RED said they no longer are doing any repairs because they do not have spare parts. I would have paid if it was somewhat reasonable to fix but they did not offer that.

It would be great if some electronic guru would do repairs to faulty boards.

Dana
    Dana W. Gonzales
    www.danagonzales.com

Hi Dana,

I have encountered similar issue an year ago and Red team was able to fix the issue and they mentioned its due to a chipset/motherboard issue.

As RED is no more supporting the repairs for Scarlet-MX... was wondering would your insurance cover replacing the camera?

Thanks
    Uday

Interesting.. I do not think I have insurance for camera malfunction but I will check it out.. thanks
    Dana W. Gonzales
    www.danagonzales.com

it is very disturbing to know they no longer support that camera, after spending so much money on the camera...(it's totally unfair)... Sorry for your trouble but I think their decision will send some Redusers to move on to other companies...

I agree with you Kerson.I bought a Scarlet just 2 months before Red announced that they were no longer going to service/repair DSMC1 cameras.I am looking into buying a Canon eos C300 Mk 2 or a Sony FS7 Mk2 simply because they have a longer shelf life.

HAve you tried removing every accessory (even side SSD module), powering via AC, and restoring (4sec boot)?

Only other thing I can suggest is completely disassemble and reassemble...

As for repairs; that’s absolutely haggard. A fellow RUser had a dragon sensor go on his scarlet, and the cost of repair was $1000 less than a new brain (and that was 3years after release)... insane.

Have you tried leaving it on your front seat with the window down in East LA? I think insurance covers that ;-)
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kerson Raymond View Post
    it is very disturbing to know they no longer support that camera, after spending so much money on the camera...(it's totally unfair)... Sorry for your trouble but I think their decision will send some Redusers to move on to other companies...
    I think I can say the following because I too, own a Scarlet MX. While it is frustrating to a degree that it is no longer supported, you have to look at why. RED isn't just abandoning the thing. The parts that make up these cameras are not available forever. That's the just the way it is. Think of it like this. You make a spiffy new product that everybody loves, and part of the product is a BetaMax tape. Then one day, the world moves on, and nobody makes BetaMax tapes anymore. One of your customers shows up with a broken one of your spiffy products and guess what, the part that needs replacing is a BetaMax tape. What do you do? Start up manufacturing for BetaMax tapes? Probably not. Sure, you can (maybe) get Canon or Sony to fix your camera from 2011...but I would not count on it.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.