Thread: Monstro R3D Playback in Resolve

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Monstro R3D Playback in Resolve 
    - Hey guys, looking for some help here. I want the ability to review and grade Monstro and Helium R3d footage in resolve for personal review and study. I purchased a eGPU and Vega64 GPU card. I am not seeing any performance gains in resolve currently, even though resolve has selected the Vega card for OpenCL. Everything is connected through my MBP touch bar i7 running OSX 10.13.6. I can do real time playback at 1/8th currently. Would love to do it 1/4 or 1/2.
    IATSE - Local 600
    Director of Photography
    www.andrewwehde.com

Andrew,

To get the frame rate up - have you considered reducing the quality of the Debayerng?
    Shift-9 : Camera Raw : Change Arri drop down to RED.

The default Debayer is Half Good.
    You can reduce the quality here / and let delivery work at highest quality later.
    Also - there may well be a bug in Resolve 15 with debayering 8K IPP2 Monstro Footage.
    (BM team can reproduce)

Other ways to increase frame rate : You can try performance mode & if you get no joy -> select Proxy mode (half or quarter).

AJ

With 8k files you will run into a cpu bottleneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    With 8k files you will run into a cpu bottleneck.
    How many cores do I need? will the new 6 core i7 MBP announced today give me 1/4 playback? 1/2 playback?
    IATSE - Local 600
    Director of Photography
    www.andrewwehde.com

Quote Originally Posted by andrew wehde View Post
    How many cores do I need? will the new 6 core i7 MBP announced today give me 1/4 playback? 1/2 playback?
    A freaking lot depending on the clockspeed

Looking at the above picture I would estimate 24 cores running at 3.6 GHz (i9-7960x does 3,6 GHz all-core on 16 cores).

Misha, You dont get a bottle neck if you only do sub full debayering. I edit on my old macbook pro, 8k monstro files as we speak with no lag. Sure not in full res view but who needs that, not many of us have a 8k offline edit screen anyways. Leave the full res stuff to final render, work in 1/4 or less viewing resoution and all will be fine.

Lot of times I do this straight from the mini mag and then when done editing I only rneder out my edit in a highresolution dpx or prores and r3d trims to a disc and ditch the rest. Thats editing and grading 8k over a USB2 cable from a camera mag on a 4 year old computer without any kind of fuss... Mind blowing if you ask me.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

I don't have experience with eGPUs, but the bandwidth of it being external (I've read 2 PCIe lanes, instead on the desktop being 16 lanes), may be an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Misha, You dont get a bottle neck if you only do sub full debayering. I edit on my old macbook pro, 8k monstro files as we speak with no lag. Sure not in full res view but who needs that, not many of us have a 8k offline edit screen anyways. Leave the full res stuff to final render, work in 1/4 or less viewing resoution and all will be fine.

Lot of times I do this straight from the mini mag and then when done editing I only rneder out my edit in a highresolution dpx or prores and r3d trims to a disc and ditch the rest. Thats editing and grading 8k over a USB2 cable from a camera mag on a 4 year old computer without any kind of fuss... Mind blowing if you ask me.
    The picture mentioned above is 1/2 res.

Just edit with ProRes proxies.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post

How are you obtaining 1/4 playback with monstro files? How many cores? how is it setup?
    IATSE - Local 600
    Director of Photography
    www.andrewwehde.com

Quote Originally Posted by andrew wehde View Post
    How are you obtaining 1/4 playback with monstro files? How many cores? how is it setup?
    Start at Page 104 + chapter 5

http://documents.blackmagicdesign.co...nce_Manual.pdf