Thread: New 2018 MacBook Pro's and BlackMagic eGPU

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57
  1. #1 New 2018 MacBook Pro's and BlackMagic eGPU 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    235
    Apple's updated MacBook Pro's are attempting to cater to more "pro users" it seems.

    6 cores standard on the 15''. Not bad. Same price as the older 4 core model.

    Curious to see how this performs in real world tests. Apple claims "70% faster" than last years i5 and i7 processors.

    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...-intel-core-i9

    Also announced a BlackMagic eGPU exclusive for MacBook Pro....

    Thoughts? Discuss!
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #011030
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    93
    I'm not a Mac guy but the external GPU is a good plan. I have an Alienware i9 "laptop" with the Alienware Graphics Amplifier (external GPU box) and 2x nVidia 1080s and it's not only a demon, but it's luggable with or without the external GPU. I'm considering adding a third 1080 and just leaving the GPU at the studio when I lug the heavy beast around as DIT.

    I have seen a lot more Mac users (colorists, specifically, but some editors) drop Mac in the past 12 months which was a shock because they were tried and true Mac users. Maybe this will bring some folks back around?


    Scarlet-W
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Zeb B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In The Moment
    Posts
    4,916
    Yeah, I got a new MacBook Pro with the shitty keyboard that fails with a speck of dust. Took a Class Action lawsuit to get Apple to admit to the design failure. I look forward to the day when they fire Jonny Ive and his skinny fashion design team. Clearly Jonny has an unnatural thing for all things anorexic. Hey Jonny, these are business tools . . . not art objects or an extension of your kinky eating disorder fetish desires ;-)
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wahba View Post

    Curious to see how this performs in real world tests. Apple claims "70% faster" than last years i5 and i7 processors.
    For first few minutes of render until it starts preventing cooking itself.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    Yeah, I got a new MacBook Pro with the shitty keyboard that fails with a speck of dust. Took a Class Action lawsuit to get Apple to admit to the design failure. I look forward to the day when they fire Jonny Ive and his skinny fashion design team. Clearly Jonny has an unnatural thing for all things anorexic. Hey Jonny, these are business tools . . . not art objects or an extension of your kinky eating disorder fetish desires ;-)
    Yeah, it looks great but typing feel is not so great.

    Design flaws seem to be a part of corporate M.O. for a while now.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg


    Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

    imdb


    "Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

    "L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Frank Glencairn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Brian Dada View Post
    Maybe this will bring some folks back around?
    Well there are a dozen other eGPU boxes on the market since quite a while, if they haven't driven them back...

    But then, once you embrace the dark side :-)
    Frank Glencairn
    DOP - Director - Colorist

    http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Rakesh Malik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    677
    And these updated laptops still don't have current GPUs... and neither does BMD's eGPU box. What's up with that?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography
    http://WhiteCranePhotography.com
    http://WinterLight.studio
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member andrewhake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    312
    It's adorable how these type of threads always attract the EXACT same people with absolutely nothing better to do.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    It's adorable how these type of threads always attract the EXACT same people with absolutely nothing better to do.
    Always nice to see your contributions in these kind of threads anddrewhake, your input is highly appreciated.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Frank Glencairn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    And these updated laptops still don't have current GPUs... and neither does BMD's eGPU box. What's up with that?
    Thunderbolt only gives you 4 PCI lanes anyway, and only if nothing else is on the other port, so a better card probably not gonna give you much more umph.

    In my book, editing (let alone grading) on a laptop is a penalty anyway.
    So glad I don't need to do this, and have a real workstation with all the bells and whistles instead.
    Frank Glencairn
    DOP - Director - Colorist

    http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, USA
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Thunderbolt only gives you 4 PCI lanes anyway, and only if nothing else is on the other port, so a better card probably not gonna give you much more umph. In my book, editing (let alone grading) on a laptop is a penalty anyway. So glad I don't need to do this, and have a real workstation with all the bells and whistles instead.
    There are DITs and others who were looking for a Mac solution that would allow them to transcode dailies and viewing files, so this could well appeal to that audience.

    It's also very possible that this could be a sign of where Apple is headed with a "Modular Mac Pro" in the future, as a series of boxes you would buy or replace in order to give the machine more power and more capabilities.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts