Thread: Gemini Kit - what to get?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11  
    Senior Member Blair S. Paulsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,709
    Agree the Heliopan variable ND is the best option I've seen.

    Just ordered a PAG travel charger myself to put together a tight kit for a long trip. Did not actually order the PAG batteries, for that kind of cash I could get Antons.

    I did order one of the RED slim V-mounts as the lowest profile, figuratively and literally, battery option. Willing to give up some run time for stealth.

    I have the new school EVF and love it. Will not be taking a RED LCD at all. WC pogo to 14 pin, no top plate.

    I also picked up a RED side handle, both for handling the camera and for driving the menus.

    Cheers - #19
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    Good tip on the batteries. Love the RED V-locks but the charger is a bit big and they don’t travel well.

    Is there a 95mm Variable ND out there that is worth a shit?

    You could buy a set of 95mm Firecrest NDs. Not variable ND but at least you get better quality ND that way. The 95mm are cheaper then the 4x5.65!
    Director of Photograhy
    schmige.net | instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Zeb B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In The Moment
    Posts
    4,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian Schmige View Post
    You could buy a set of 95mm Firecrest NDs. Not variable ND but at least you get better quality ND that way. The 95mm are cheaper then the 4x5.65!
    Yah. I might do some testing on the Vari ND's for everyone once I get the Gemmie. There's also an issue with using them on wide angle lenses . . . but they do serve a purpose when trying to keep the kit smol & reducing the fuq around time of changing fixed ND filters.

    Oh and, what's with the multiple number of systems for ND's? None of which relate to actual stops lost.
    "If you want a F Stop reduction of 2 stops, then you need a .6 Optical Density or, in other words, a Filter Factor of 4 that has a transmittance of 25%" Hey boys, why not just call it an ND2?!?
    Last edited by Zeb B; 07-13-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    Yah. I might do some testing on the Vari ND's for everyone once I get the Gemmie. There's also an issue with using them on wide angle lenses . . . but they do serve a purpose when trying to keep the kit smol & reducing the fuq around time of changing fixed ND filters.

    Oh and, what's with the multiple number of systems for ND's? None of which relate to actual stops lost.
    "If you want a F Stop reduction of 2 stops, then you need a .6 Optical Density or, in other words, a Filter Factor of 4 that has a transmittance of 25%" Hey boys, why not just call it an ND2?!?
    I haven't seen reviews yet, but if you go with the KipperTie Revolva, that'd probably take care of your ND situation and no need to screw on/off filters.

    I think you'd just need to check what other people are saying about how it does or doesn't interfere with the top plates out there available to purchase.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member Zeb B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In The Moment
    Posts
    4,746
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    I haven't seen reviews yet, but if you go with the KipperTie Revolva, that'd probably take care of your ND situation and no need to screw on/off filters.

    I think you'd just need to check what other people are saying about how it does or doesn't interfere with the top plates out there available to purchase.
    Well that looks amazing. Are they actually shipping and has anyone tested these little gems? Website says: "New orders are currently on hold while we fulfill existing orders." which says to me . . . we are having unforeseen production issues so ain't shipping yet.

    Only thing I can find on YT is the announcement saying they will ship in April.

    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    Well that looks amazing. Are they actually shipping and has anyone tested these little gems? Website says: "New orders are currently on hold while we fulfill existing orders." which says to me . . . we are having unforeseen production issues so ain't shipping yet.
    Here is the thread that started to get buried - John Marchant from KT chimed in every once in a while there: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...perTie-Revolva
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member Zeb B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In The Moment
    Posts
    4,746
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Here is the thread that started to get buried - John Marchant from KT chimed in every once in a while there: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...perTie-Revolva
    Thanks for that! Seems odd that no one has posted a review or maybe I'm missing it
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member D Fuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    Thanks for that! Seems odd that no one has posted a review or maybe I'm missing it
    I don’t think you’re missing it, I think the revolts is a bit late, and just reaching people’s hands now. I would expect to see reviews ‘real soon now’.

    BTW, thanks for this thread. I have the same question.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Auburn & Portland, ME
    www.airstream.pictures
    EPIC-M Dragon #1053
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts