Thread: Manhattan, New York - Sea To City - Filmed in 12K

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Manhattan, New York - Sea To City - Filmed in 12K 
    Hello again!

Well after a pretty overwhelming response to the Above NYC - 12K project I went back into the post production dungeon to crank out another one. This time we have a long form, large format, 12K aerial shot as we approach Manhattan low off the water. A tricky one to capture and perform the necessary post production stitching the 3X cameras due to altitude variation and planes. Weather and light was also interesting as the sky is mostly overcast with subtle pastel hues.

Once again filmed with Gotham Film Works Hammerhead K1 Aerial Array with 3X RED Monstro 8K VV cameras.

Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Wow. Can honestly say I've never seen anything quite like this. The perspective and detail here are really something else.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W #796

Nice
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

awesome stuff!

that is one of the most mindbending pieces of footage ever. something sacred in that shot, I can't quite describe it. it kind of captures the generative and destructive elements of humanity all at once.

music is perfect. what is it?

Thanks all. Very much appreciated.

Music score is a track I licensed by Luke Atencio called Erosion that I modified a bit for this piece.

There is something interesting about this approach into NYC. Manhattan became a borough in New York during the consolidation of 1898. What was previously called simply New York was actually the capital of the United States from 1785-1790, before that it was known as New Amsterdam. Though I am from California, both of my great grandparents on my mother's side immigrated into New York during 1920 through Ellis Island. Though they came by ship, this is a similar approach to perhaps what they first saw. I can only imagine what it would have been like for those eager to seek out a new future to see the massive Statue of Liberty greet them as they arrived in what would become their new home.

Interesting (for me at least) the earliest immigration on my father's side came over in the 1500s before Colonization.

There is something a bit somber and perhaps haunting about flying the gap of where the World Trade Center was, but I do like that the Memorial reflects on all that is around it from the sky. And for those with keen eyes you will see a reflection of the Statue of Liberty within windows of the One World Trade Center, which was opened to the public in 2014.

There's a lot to read into a long form piece like this and hopefully everybody can find something to discover for themselves. It's been a goal with some of my recent personal and professional work over the years.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

12K of wow!
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.