Thread: Wireless Follow Focus Recommendations

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Wireless Follow Focus Recommendations 
    I'm looking to invest in a wireless follow focus system. I'm thinking about purchasing the Teradek RT System. Has anyone used this system before or can you recommend something comparable? I'm not interested in the Tilta system and the Arri is out of my price range.
    BRIAN BRADLEY FILMS
    Brian Bradley | DP - Director
    RED Epic-W Helium No. 07438
    Movi m15 Owner/Operator
    San Francisco/Los Angeles
    www.brianbradleyfilms.com

perhpas look at cmotion's new cPRO system... I going to look at the Cmotion system, the Arri system with the cforce RF and also the Rtmotion system next week.

I want a LW gimbal friendly rock solid setup with lens mapping etc... your needs may differ.

PS The arri system I think is cheaper now due to the Cforce RF

I like the RT motion Latitude especially for gimble work. With a gimbal set up you can use EF lenses and lose the motors and rods etc. keeping the weight down and focus with internal EF lenses. Then use the RT motion with motors for normal Cine lenses. This is my set up anyway.
    Silver Lake Studios Inc.
    Film Production and Stock Footage
    Rentals and other goodies at
    www.utahcinevideo.com
    www.slsfilm.com

Do you have any pictures of your setup. I'm looking to add this for Gimbal work
    BRIAN BRADLEY FILMS
    Movi m15 Owner/Operator

At Cinegear i checked out the RT motion. It is really great. smooth accurate and the reciever unit that connects with DSMC 2 body really great!

I have not used the Cpro unit so i cant speak on that.

But I just switched to the Tilta nucleus-m. And its been really great. the motor is the receiver so that cuts weight on gimbals also it come with a 2nd motor for iris or zoom and you can get even a third for FIZ. All motors daisy chain. Motors are super smooth and have 0 backlash. it also comes with handle for use on movi or ronin which is a huge plus. if you ever in a situation u need to pull yourself. I'd recommended amazon prime the nucleus and try it out for yourself if your don't like it well u have amazon prime.

I have to use my follow focus with many different camera systems so the nucleus became a obvious choice and you cant beat the price.
    Last edited by James Lee Marsh; 07-24-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lee Marsh View Post
    At Cinegear i checked out the RT motion. It is really great. smooth accurate and the reciever unit that connects with DSMC 2 body really great!

I have not used the Cpro unit so i cant speak on that.

But I just switched to the Tilta nucleus-m. And its been really great. the motor is the receiver so that cuts weight on gimbals also it come with a 2nd motor for iris or zoom and you can get even a third for FIZ. All motors daisy chain. Motors are super smooth and have 0 backlash. it also comes with handle for use on movi or ronin which is a huge plus. if you ever in a situation u need to pull yourself. I'd recommended amazon prime the nucleus and try it out for yourself if your don't like it well u have amazon prime.

I have to use my follow focus with many different camera systems so the nucleus became a obvious choice and you cant beat the price.
    I heard too many ppl complain about the Tilta FF and there are a ton of them on eBay. PPL saying they stop responding while they were on a job. I don't want to lose out on work trying to save a buck
    BRIAN BRADLEY FILMS
    Movi m15 Owner/Operator

We started with a used Bartech paired with a Heden motor way back in the day. Worked great for us for about 4 years, but wanted to get something smaller and digital. Moved on the Cinegears Wireless FF set and loved that the receiver was built into the motor - a huge space saver. It wasn't as responsive as the Bartech but for what we were doing it worked well. When we got into aerial work we needed something with better range and went with the RT Motion system. It's on a completely different level than our previous units. I have both the Latitude Sidekick and the Latitude MB, depending on what the situation calls for. I also picked up a couple thumbwheels for focus/iris when we're running handheld or shoulder mount. Absolutely love the system.

It's the most expensive of the units I've owned but it has been worth every penny. If you've got the funds for it, I highly recommend it.
    The Chief @ Chimaeric
    Director + Colorist + DP
    http://www.chimaeric.com

Axis 1 from Hocus products is fantastic.

I have an unused Teradek RT system for sale in the marketplace that I've assembled for testing only. I went for the MDR-2 controller with battery plate so it could be used on any camera system, not just Red, and so it would be very versatile for placement in terms of gimbal balancing.

It's an amazing and simple setup but I find I'm not doing that sort of work anymore so it has to go.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

How about the DJI Focus Wireless Follow Focus System? Anyone have experience using that?