Thread: What is this??? Shot with Red Dragon and Canon 70-200 2.8 L

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 What is this??? Shot with Red Dragon and Canon 70-200 2.8 L 
    What is this? Shot with Red Dragon and Canon 70-200 2.8 L. I can upload more examples. Your help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Tyrel Stumpff; 07-30-2018 at 05:48 PM.

It's a flare.
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

looks like what is usually called ghosting and is bounce back reflection from stacked filters. ND plus a pola, anything really. You can get it from just an IR or clear filter in front of the lens. Usually pulling one filter helps, or some matte boxes let you angle a filter (or on a mattebox with two trays next to each other pull one tray out and angle the filter in there). Another solution is with a swing away matte box, swing it away a tiny bit and tape it/wedge it there. The point is to get the filters so they aren't all perpendicular to the lens axis so the reflections don't stack up.

Nick

Thanks Nick! I was using a Tiffen variable ND.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    looks like what is usually called ghosting and is bounce back reflection from stacked filters. ND plus a pola, anything really. You can get it from just an IR or clear filter in front of the lens. Usually pulling one filter helps, or some matte boxes let you angle a filter (or on a mattebox with two trays next to each other pull one tray out and angle the filter in there). Another solution is with a swing away matte box, swing it away a tiny bit and tape it/wedge it there. The point is to get the filters so they aren't all perpendicular to the lens axis so the reflections don't stack up.

Nick

Yeah, I imagine that would seriously fuck you on ghosting since it's two polas stacked.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Yeah, I imagine that would seriously fuck you on ghosting since it's two polas stacked.

Nick
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There's a reason that so many fine art photographers stick with one of a few brands for filters once they find them... and Tiffen isn't usually one of them.

I did a comparison once; placed a Tiffen polarizer on top of a magazine page over some printed text, and next to it a B+W Kaesemann polarizer. The difference in sharpness was... glaring.

That's why so many fine art photographers stuck with the likes of Singh-Ray and B+W for so long... other competitors like Formatt didn't exist yet. :)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography
    http://WhiteCranePhotography.com
    http://WinterLight.studio