Thread: Using LTO-8 for backup?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Make sure you have more than one copy of each tape! I recently had an LTO-6 drive bite the dust with the tape inside. The tape was destroyed in the process as it had gotten ripped somehow. The LTO drive was deemed "non repairable". It was an expensive day. Fortunately I had further backup.

LTO-7 is nice because you will be able to read it from an LTO-9 drive. So it is future proofed further out than say LTO-6.

REDuser Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pultz View Post
    Make sure you have more than one copy of each tape! I recently had an LTO-6 drive bite the dust with the tape inside. The tape was destroyed in the process as it had gotten ripped somehow. The LTO drive was deemed "non repairable". It was an expensive day. Fortunately I had further backup.

LTO-7 is nice because you will be able to read it from an LTO-9 drive. So it is future proofed further out than say LTO-6.
    Just curious, who told you the tape drive was non-repairable? Do you mean the drive or tape?

If you meant the tape, there's actually some data recovery companies that can put them back together even after being mangled.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

The manufacturer (Tandberg) told me the drive could not be repaired so I sent it to a specialized repair facility in Minnesota and they also told me that it could not be repaired. Perhaps the tape itself could have been fixed, but having a second copy was a much simpler solution!

Can anyone even buy LTO8 Media right now?