Thread: Set Lighting Workshop Interior Night & Day with a translight. London, UK

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Damn, I'm trying to work out which one I can attend. Maybe you can squeeze another category in just for me and no one else?

Otherwise the women's workshop was well attended and much appreciated. Try looking at it from their point of view for a second...if you can stretch your imagination that far

Quote Originally Posted by JPSendall View Post
    Damn, I'm trying to work out which one I can attend. Maybe you can squeeze another category in just for me and no one else?

Otherwise the women's workshop was well attended and much appreciated. Try looking at it from their point of view for a second...if you can stretch your imagination that far
    Not sure I can. Perhaps mansplain it to me ;-)
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    There are many women who will tell you, if you ask, that when they attend events they are forced to think about their own personal safety traveling to the event, while attending the event, and returning from the event. The amount attention they have to spend on each depends on a variety of factors, but an all-women event substantially shifts the balance in favor of learning what is being taught as opposed to remaining vigilant against creeps. If you think that's being paranoid, just look what happens when you take somebody's invitation to sing at a funeral and you are placed next to a bishop presiding over the ceremonies. Safe spaces are a welcome option to many when they are available.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Don't need to do I? You're a man already...aren't you?

Don't need to do I? You're a man already...aren't you?
    How dare you assume my gender!!!!
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

How dare you assume my gender!!!!
    No assumption, hence the question.

No assumption, hence the question.
    I understand you have found a successful marketing model in exploiting perceived gender learning differences to sell workshops. On this forum I believe gender is neither important nor something you assume or ask for in order to relate to each other. But since you have inquired, and I fully accept who I truly am; I was born a hermaphrodite, but now identify as a pansexual Capybara.
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

If you perceive no difference between genders then yes indeed you are a pansexual Capybara with about as much emotional intelligence. On a serious note though women do find it tough (not in the same way as men do) to get on in the business because of certain attitudes and experiences. Some of my women friends have the attitude of just get on with it and take no s--t, which is admirable but not all women can do that. As far as marketing is concerned I had a feeling that it wouldn't sell well but thought it might be a good thing to offer, despite the male dominated part of this business. It was only after a couple of well known female DP's posted it around did it almost reach it's sell out point. I also did the workshops at a loss and an intended one at that so save your cynicism for something else you feel strongly about. I don't have a problem with arguing the merits of the case but your attitude is . . . how shall I put it, sneering in a not so pleasant and immature way. It belittles you rather than me. Thanks everyone for posting. Tara ducks!

https://theasc.com/news/stephen-ligh...sive-for-women

On August 3-6, the American Film Institute (AFI) conducted a tuition-free workshop for aspiring female cinematographers. This first-ever Cinematography Introductory Intensive for Women (CIIW) was sponsored by 21st Century Fox Global Inclusion and took place in Los Angeles, initiating women who are interested in cinematography, but lack experience, into the fundamentals of visual storytelling.

Staffed by the world-class AFI Cinematography faculty and master-level guests, the program introduced participants to the career potential of cinematography — with production workshops, discussions, screenings of the work of pioneering female cinematographers and more.

The workshop encouraged participants to continue their studies and become a working professional in the field, with the goal of increasing the number of women working in cinematography.

“Less than four percent of film and television programs have a female cinematographer. Even in an industry rife with gender discrimination, the lack of parity is striking,” said Lighthill, a past president of the ASC. “The AFI Conservatory Cinematography program has been a leader in the field — and by piloting a program that supports female cinematographers as they begin their exploration of the field, Fox and AFI will give diverse and deserving DPs greater opportunity to enter the industry.”
    Last edited by JPSendall; 09-09-2018 at 09:51 AM.