Thread: R3D Files Being DELETED off RAID by Recine-x Pro!

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 R3D Files Being DELETED off RAID by Recine-x Pro! 
    After years of successfully using Redcine-X Pro, today a DISASTER occurred!!

While dragging and viewing files in a BIN in RC-XP, I deleted seven (7) clips from a BIN ... and their THUMBNAILS also DISAPPEARED from the Devices Preview Pane.

I immediately clicked over to FINDER (on a Mac Pro tower here, OS 10.12.1) and opened the folders on the RAID for those R3D files. The R3Rs were now GONE, with only the ".rtn" files remaining in their respective folders for each of these now-missing seven clips. I checked the TRASH –– and there were NO FILES in it. I have NEVER deleted any files via a Mac file system without FIRST having to deliberately EMPTY the TRASH (except for system apps like Photos & iTunes, where it ASKS you multiple times if you want to delete something).

I ran a SEARCH on the RAID and the Mac for the R3Ds –– but nothing except the ".rtn" for those files names was located!

How could working solely within RC-XP actually (and apparently PERMANENTLY) DELETE R3D files?!

As with everyone's footage, these are VERY IMPORTANT clips that had just been shot with cast and crew for an indy feature film, but had NOT YET been backed up to our LTO Drives. We've already reformatted and shot on the RedMag used for these clips multiple times, or else I'd try RedUndead to try and retrieve them.

I HAVE NOT YET shut down the system in the hope that RC-XP has just somehow screwed up the file/folder directory for the R3Ds it DELETED.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Bill Jacobs; 08-06-2018 at 09:38 PM.

I'm not sure if Redundead might help but if you try it, back-up your hard drive with the media BEFORE trying it.

I've tried to see if there was any way to get it back from Redcine-X and unfortunately I'm stumped. Hope others might be able to help when they wake up.

One oddity, I placed a test clip in the timeline then deleted the clip in the media browser. When I went to 'Command History' in the 'etc' tab to revert back, it showed up on the timeline and played but did not revert the deleting of that test r3d clip. Wonder if there might be a way to export it out.
    Movme inc.
    Red Epic-W s/n 4015, 8K Digital Cinema Camera
    MacBook Pro 6 core, FCP-X
    DJI Ronin, Ready Rig, Vaxis 500+, Tilta Nucleus-M, OSEE HSM-700, Dynacore Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Selnick View Post
    The delete action in Redcine-X puts the file(s) into the trash. I was able to verify that the deleted files were indeed in the trash and are able to be restored, both in Windows and on a MAC. The issue might have to do with the files being on a RAID.
    I have seen programs (like Resolve) that have a potentially dangerous mode that basically accesses the Terminal mode on Mac OSX and deletes files without actually putting them in the trash. You might say they go in the trash, then the trash is instantly emptied. It is possible run an undelete program to get them back provided you make no changes to the drive.

I agree this is a dangerous mode and maybe there should be a 2-step warning ("Are you Sure?" "Are you really really sure?") before permanent deletion.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Thanks everyone for your input. It's much appreciated.

I had wanted to keep our system powered up and not change anything until we possibly heard back from RED today with a solution from their software folks. But due to severe electrical storms, we DID have to power everything down for a while.

Even though the TRASH clearly showed itself as EMPTY prior to powering down ... when we powered back up late tonight, the TRASH now had the missing seven R3D files in it!

I moved the files BACK to their proper folder locations, and all is fine now. I have no idea WHY the files didn’t originally show up in the TRASH –– only doing so after being rebooted –– but there are some very happy campers here that they did.

Again, thanks everyone...

Wow, that's good news. Congrats, Bill! You were lucky on this one.

I have had cases where a main drive failed... then the backup failed... but the double-secret backup drive held it together and we were able to do a full restore from that. Lesson learned: backups can really save your ass. And one backup is not enough.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Bill,

It may be worth raising this with Apple.

I have encountered something 'strange' that I think is combination of High Sierra, APFS (Apples File System on my system drive), and Time Machine.

My gut feeling (or speculation at this point) is when Time Machine is active - (click on open Time Machine preferences - status is in the middle top of window) - that it can be:
    - Creating a local snapshot of the your system (which it updates every hour).
    - or Preparing for a Backup
    - or Actually doing a Backup.

And that - if something is put in the BIN (or in my case Deleted from the BIN) - that this will NOT update and show the correct results until Time Machine has either been halted (and the system asynchronously updates its file state) - or Time Machine has completed.

If the drive that is deleted from was called 'AJ' ... the following is 'more likely' to show what is really there.

1. Open Terminal
    2. Terminal> cd /Volumes/“AJ”/.Trashes/
    3. Terminal> sudo ls 501/ To check folders listing.

AJ