Thread: Wich preamp/recorder are you're favorite and why?

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    One thing I wish the mixpre serie got is the "auto mix" features as its bigger brother. I have put in a feature request for it.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

I have the sound devices mixpre-3 and a zoomh6n(with the extra 2 XLR add-on). The sound devices definitely sounds better and it's easier to rig but its a pain in the ass for batteries. I got the 8 batteries sled and on a full day, i sometimes have to replace the batteries twice (that's a total of 24AA batteries, plus all the AA batts needed for the wireless mics, my audio kit has close to 60 AA batteries!).

The zoom h6n is the budget option and while it sounds good, you can definitely tell that the mix-pre 3 has a better sound to it. The h6n is also more of a pain in the ass to rig due to its awkward form factor. In terms of batteries, with an h6n you only have to switch the 4 AA once and your set. If your recording a concert or something for a long time without a dedicated audio guy, the zoom h6n lasts longer then the mix-pre if your running on AA batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    One thing I wish the mixpre serie got is the "auto mix" features as its bigger brother. I have put in a feature request for it.

The Zoom F8n has it! ;-)

Even the ultra affordable (US$350 on sale!) Zoom F4 has automix.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Quote Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
    The Zoom F8n has it! ;-)

Even the ultra affordable (US$350 on sale!) Zoom F4 has automix.
    Haha, yeah I did not realize the with of that feature. I asked SD to add this. Hope more people ask for this feature and that its possible. It take time to go throw and fix this manualy. Time that could be spent else where. Im very happy with the sound quality from the SD and battery time using only one Sony Npf-battery.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069