Thread: Crafting A Life Of Love (Red Scarlet-W)

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Crafting A Life Of Love (Red Scarlet-W) 
    Hello --

This is a video a shot for a church. It will be used to promote a new series (Crafting A Life Of Love) that they are starting soon. It will primarily play on Sunday mornings right before the speaker gets up to give his message.

I am looking for any constructive criticism anyone has to offer. What can I do better -- what do I need to work on?

Thank you -- in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmao_Sq9buA

Keagan,
    This is awesome. I hope your church sees the value in your skills and understands how awesome RED cameras are :)
    Overall, I like how peaceful this trailer is.

Here are my thoughts:
    0:00 - 0:20: the suspense and intrigue build nicely, but at 0:20 I was hoping to see a closeup of the person at the band saw.
    0:20 - 1:48: I'm confused about the story and timeline. What is he building? Should I be paying attention to what he's building? Or is it the love and care that the craftsman that I should be witnessing? Do you have any shots of his face as he is working?
    1:48: At this time, it was starting to seem long without knowing what the intention is.
    2:09: As I was watching this shot, I imagined hearing narration.

I don't know what the goal is for the overall feel and look, but it seems somewhat flat to me.
    I think there is a lot of emotion that is not being explored through color, sound, narration, and cinematography.

How are you presenting this to people at the venue? Have you tested what it looks like in the same conditions as Sunday morning? Too bad church venues aren't calibrated similarly as movie theaters.

Hope that helps.
    (3) RED ONE MXs
    (1) GH5s
    (WTB) RED ONE MX, Weapon-X, Helium, Gemini, Monstro VV,
    independent filmmaker & software engineer

Kyle --

Thanks for taking the time to watch and reply. I appreciate your thoughts.

I think the trailer is flat as well. The focus was supposed to be the love and care of a craftsman. The previous series trailer at the church was very heavy in narration, so I was trying to do something different -- but I think I may have over corrected.

My grade is coming out flatter than I intended, my export is not matching what I'm seeing in resolve. Still working on that.

As far as the venue goes -- It will be projected on a screen (around 25ft wide) in an auditorium.

Thanks again for your thoughts -- I will try and implement some of the changes you suggested.

Hey Keagan,

I enjoyed watching your trailer! I agree with what Kyle said about the grade looking flat, but you knew that. As someone on a camera forum looking for slick visuals, I noticed how well the trailer was shot. The only thing I might add on the cinematography side is that it felt like it was missing some close-ups of what the talent was doing.

The trailer was a little hard to follow and a tad too long for my liking. I think that if you had shown the talent making a single item, for example, a chair, or a cross or something. I feel it would be much easier to follow. Here is an example of what I mean. A local church that I work broadcast for made this trailer. I have no clue what it was shot on.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ADxbuCFED2k?end=40

I hope that this helps!

Timothy --

Thanks for watching and replying.

I am working on bringing some more color into the video.

The video you included was a great example -- After watching it, I totally agree. Some close up shots and making a single item would have made my video much better.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and that example video.