Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: MacBook Pro 2018 for a RED workflow?

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Ugh... the benchmarks are triggering my OCD. They’re labeled as 29.97 playback, but it’s obviously 24/23.9....
    Yep, Matt Bach is sometimes a bit to fast getting an article out but it's 23.976 and he is one of the few releasing tests of post hard/software, so I rather thank him, than criticize his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Misha doesn't approve or disapprove anything, I just give my opinion when it suits me and sometimes I'm totally wrong and get corrected soon enough.

But those gigabyte and MSI laptops are tempting if only R3D wasn't so hard on those tiny laptop CPU's (Cineform uses about 5..7 times less compute power with a 10..30% increase in filesize with the same quality output).
    It all comes down how you want to work, a bit heavy and get the job done or in style with a fancy under powered laptop.
    Misha, it was a bit of humor. I really appreciate your input. I am in a situation where I am always traveling and need something to at least do basic Resolve or FCPX in the field. I fully intend on eventually having a tower system like the one you have suggested, but I need something soon for a project in October. I was ready to pull the trigger on the new MBP because of FCPX, but now I want to see if the Lenovo with Resolve would be better. It is always something- When you say a bit heavy- if you are talking something that always has to be plugged in it is too heavy. A "fancy, underpowered laptop" that at least lets me do things in the field is not an economic problem considering that it will cost less than a 1tb card for my Monstro, and I need something to work that card with.

Quote Originally Posted by scott devitte View Post
    Misha, it was a bit of humor. I really appreciate your input. I am in a situation where I am always traveling and need something to at least do basic Resolve or FCPX in the field. I fully intend on eventually having a tower system like the one you have suggested, but I need something soon for a project in October. I was ready to pull the trigger on the new MBP because of FCPX, but now I want to see if the Lenovo with Resolve would be better. It is always something- When you say a bit heavy- if you are talking something that always has to be plugged in it is too heavy. A "fancy, underpowered laptop" that at least lets me do things in the field is not an economic problem considering that it will cost less than a 1tb card for my Monstro, and I need something to work that card with.
    When you don't do color work on the road, I wouldn't opt. for Davinci Resolve, Davinci is real power hungry and needs fast hardware and an extra monitor for color work.
    For just editing and a little color work it's a matter of preference Apple+FCPX or Windows+PP(iGPU support with PP and it works pretty well).

Resolve is more desktop software (maybe the bulky MSI's with a 1080 onboard for 2k/FullHD or max 4k/UHD).

Even though the nvidia CEO didn’t mention it I thought it was interesting that Resolve was prominently listed in his presentation as supporting RTX on their new Quadros.

Also: R.I.P. Vega

Just a quick report on the Macbook Pro i9 (maxed out everything but SSD), I'm currently exporting a project shot in 8k and edited in native r3d. Just a basic edit so far and I'm exporting a rough cut so no color or effects, and its going to a 1920 h.264. 45 minute long projet, and its taking an hour to export on this laptop. Honestly for a laptop I'm really impressed. Its hot, and its definitely throttling, but during the actual edit its super smooth.
    Louis Maddalena
    New York Based.

CF Weapon, Epic-W, Leica Summicron-Cs, Schneider Xeons, available for rent nationwide.
    AKS, Lighting and Grip also available. PM for information.

New Studio: msquaredstudio.tv
    Follow me on Instagram @MSquared_Studio
    New Website: MaddalenaMedia.com

Yep, Matt Bach is sometimes a bit to fast getting an article out but it's 23.976 and he is one of the few releasing tests of post hard/software, so I rather thank him, than criticize his work.
    Heh. Not trying to criticize, but I suppose I twitchy eye when it comes to little number things. Staring at countless lines of code for days on end will do that to you.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    Even though the nvidia CEO didn’t mention it I thought it was interesting that Resolve was prominently listed in his presentation as supporting RTX on their new Quadros.

Also: R.I.P. Vega
    Must have card that RTX 8000 only $ 10.000 and 2 times faster in resolve(fp32) than a $ 450 RX Vega.
    Stupid me, just bought an other vega fe for $800 and a water block, now I have to replace those 3 slow cards.
    Well, they served me well the last year, just a pitty I bought the last one.

Must have card that RTX 8000 only $ 10.000 and 2 times faster in resolve(fp32) than a $ 450 RX Vega.
    Stupid me, just bought an other vega fe for $800 and a water block, now I have to replace those 3 slow cards.
    Well, they served me well the last year, just a pitty I bought the last one.
    Haven’t seen any benches yet of the RTX in Resolve. Have you?

With a MacBook, FCPX is the way to go, when your on the go (color wise).
    A bit surprised to see you say it Misha, but this is totally true. It certainly works for Mark Toia....
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

I’ll wait to see what nVidia says today after they get back to it and what Jarred offers up after. From what I know so far of Turing / nVidia RTX, it looks like it’s going to be able to munch through wavelets and other complex tasks. Something other current GPU offerings just can’t do, or at least not well. It may or may not be something valuable to most of us in Resolve, depending on how we currently get by. A $10K RTX8000 would be worth it for some workflows, depending on abilities. I don’t see it fitting into anyone’s setup who is currently getting along with dual Vega’s or 1080Ti’s. Of course, there will be GeForce offerings based on Turing coming next spring. My biggest worry with the Turing GPUs is we could see a huge shortage due to all the crypto-dumbasses buying them up. More so than the last couple rounds of GPUs.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.