Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED + NVIDIA Announce Realtime 8K R3D GPU Decoding

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    This I really big, great job guys.

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping for more details soon. Do all 3 RTX cards support 8K in real time? I see the RTX Quadro 5000, RTX Quadro 6000, and RTX Quadro 8000. What is the benefit of picking the 6000 over the 5000 (aside from increase in CUDA cores)? I'm sure all of this will be answered soon. I'm especially curious if this means that older i7 workstations can offload the REDCODE processing to the GPU and see a major performance boost for realtime editing and rendering. I'm really hoping that a simple card update to an RTX would make my i7-6600K rig handle 8K in realtime. That would be a game changer for me.
    This is more a code thing than a hardware thing. The results of our incredible software engineers working with Nvidias incredible software engineers we now have wavelet decode AND debayer working on GPU.. The new hardware helps of course but we are breaking 24fps on current cards with CUDA. The release of this is tied to the new hardware but everyone on NVIDIA will eventually win...

Very cool!!
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Thanks for all the info, Jarred! Looking forward to hearing more about these consumer cards. Glad to see you guys are taking an active role in optimizing hardware/software for the 8K workflow. It's truly the future of deliverable content.
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    This is more a code thing than a hardware thing. The results of our incredible software engineers working with Nvidias incredible software engineers. The new hardware helps of course but we are breaking 24fps on current cards with CUDA. The release of this is tied to the new hardware but everyone on NVIDIA will eventually win...
    Seriously looking forward to this. My new box is ready to see where this can go and I've been churning out footage all year with it. Can't wait to see where the R&D's potential leads.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Insanely cool...

Its still a bit expensive on the high end as it should... I am now used to the waves ond evolution, since we have been there dor 2, 4 , 6 and 8K.....

R&Roll will take us along the way Phil!
    "...in life we are either artists or spectators...."

CINESOCIETY
    RED AUTHORIZED RENTAL HOUSE
    SP/BRASIL

DSMC2 - Monstro 8k #011120
    DSMC2 - Hellium 8k - #8406
    DSMC2 - Hellium 8k - #8457
    DSMC2 - Hellium 8k - #8730
    DSMC2 - Hellium 8k - #8838

dragon CF "RYOKU" - 0069
    dragon M "GAMBARE" - 2497
    dragon M "GAMBATE" - 4651

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Yay FAQ's :)

When can I have it?

The target release is December 2018 to NLEs for incorporation

All NVIDIA GPUs running CUDA will see a significant improvement - this improvement increases the efficiency of CUDA-based processing of R3Ds

Which cards can achieve 8k @ 24fps? Do I have to buy the $10K version?

We have been able to achieve 8k @ 24fps on P6000 during testing - we are confident that the lowest end Turing will work well. Even 1080 Ti cards should see a massive improvement in performance.

How does this affect transcoding?

All transcoding requires decode of the R3D first, speeds will be greatly improved but the encode itself will take the same amount of time. Overall, the time required to export media will be significantly decreased, as the decoding/debayer has historically been the long pole.

How did you do this?? Does this mean RED is allowing GPU-based wavelet decode?

Yes, we have enabled the option to move entropy and wavelet decode to the GPU as well as debayer

Can you achieve real-time with effects layers as well?

We have full real-time decoding and color grading at 8K. We expect there to be headroom in the decode performance to allow for effects layers as well in real-time, depending on your system specs.

This sounds really cool, thanks to all the people at RED and NVIDIA for the hard work making post work for creative people less of a waiting game!

To put things in perspective:

In Davinci Resolve 14.3, a basic correction using the color wheels plus 4 Power Window nodes that include motion tracking.

RED 8192x4320 (9:1) 25 fps WEAPON 8K S35 B001_C096_0902AP_001.

tested with the RAW decode quality set to "Full Res."

Runs in real time on a TR1950x (overclocked to 4 GHz) with 1 GTX1080ti/P6000 or VEGA64/FE.

TR1950x ~ $ 800

GTX1080ti ~ $ 650
    P6000 ~$ 5.000
    Vega 64 ~ $ 550
    Vega FE ~ $ 1000

PC only thing? Or will options be available for Mac? Sorry didn't watch the keynote because of time constraints..
    Joshua VP Filming and Editing LLC.
    joshuavp.com

RED EPIC WEAPON -- PDX || MSP