Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED + NVIDIA Announce Realtime 8K R3D GPU Decoding

Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 253
  1. #241  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    I would be most happy if Apple and/or AMD can offer a solid alternative to nVidia based solutions... but when?

    Cheers - #19
    Apple I don't know.

    Part of AMD's affordable solutions (8k.R3D 5:1 +24 fps in real-time) will be announced at CES 2019 (and released around march 2019) and it will not only accelarate .R3D, but everything you throw at it.
    The second part of the affordable solutions (8k.R3D 5:1 +48 fps in real-time) will be release around august 2019.

    And for the bigger budget's (Like Phil Holland's workstation) they have EPYC "Rome" with it's massive amounts of PCIe-lanes.

    Intel already has a solution with its i9-7960x and 7980xe for real-time 8k.R3D 5:1 +24 fps in real-time, you just have to cool it really good when overclocking (Phil's workstation http://www.phfx.com/articles/workstation_2018/).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #242  
    Moderator Phil Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    I would be most happy if Apple and/or AMD can offer a solid alternative to nVidia based solutions... but when?

    Cheers - #19
    I think at this point, though nothing is firm, Apple will likely jump back into supporting Nvidia products likely around Q2/Q3 2019. Their upcoming Pro is going to be something a bit different and we'll have to wait and see what develops there.

    Just a theory, not like a know anything or anything like that.

    I'm Jon Snow. Swings sword, swoosh. Swoons over dragon lady. Avoids death by dying. Wait.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles
    ________________________________
    phfx.com IMDB
    PHFX | tools

    2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

    Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #243  
    Senior Member Blair S. Paulsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,871
    I would imagine the target user for the 2019 mMacPro would be highly likely to want fast performance in apps that rely on CUDA for accelerated processing. Not sure what Apple would have to do to get back in business with nVidia, but if they could...

    Cheers - #19
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #244  
    Senior Member Andy_Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I think at this point, though nothing is firm, Apple will likely jump back into supporting Nvidia products likely around Q2/Q3 2019. Their upcoming Pro is going to be something a bit different and we'll have to wait and see what develops there.
    I really want this to be true. I was looking at eGPUs (AKA, only AMD cards) for macOS today and was not impressed by the marginal performance gains. Hopefully Jarred's plea to Apple during the presentation sent that message home.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #245  
    Senior Member DJ Meyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    I know you stole this from Puget Systems website but a bit of context is needed.

    Whether or not the blower cards are better depends entirely on the situation. Which motherboard, how many cards, etc.

    If you're planning to have space between the cards anyway for improved cooling or to use the 3 or 4-slot NVLink connectors, then the dual fan cards are generally better as they are quieter.

    If you are trying to stack 4 cards in an 8 slot case, then yes the blower cards are better.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #246  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    I know you stole this from Puget Systems website but a bit of context is needed.

    Whether or not the blower cards are better depends entirely on the situation. Which motherboard, how many cards, etc.

    If you're planning to have space between the cards anyway for improved cooling or to use the 3 or 4-slot NVLink connectors, then the dual fan cards are generally better as they are quieter.

    If you are trying to stack 4 cards in an 8 slot case, then yes the blower cards are better.
    I don't steal, it's open and for everyone to see.

    One can always use EK-water block's when you want to squeeze the most out of it, to bad it only works with 2 GPU's on NVLink.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #247  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North AL
    Posts
    117
    Which of these do you guys think would yield the best performance on a system with an Intel 6700K? They’re all pretty similar in price, but I’m trying to do some research, but specifically for editing 6-8K footage. Right now, my system barely handles 8K. Short of starting over on a new build:

    Quadro RTX 5000
    $2300
    3072 Cuda Cores
    16GB

    Titan RTX
    $2499
    4608 Cuda Cores
    24GB

    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2
    $2600
    4352 Cuda Cores each
    11GB

    I’m completely unsure of how the resources on a dual card setup are used. So, I’m looking to you guys for help. Thanks!
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

    CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #248  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    Which of these do you guys think would yield the best performance on a system with an Intel 6700K? They’re all pretty similar in price, but I’m trying to do some research, but specifically for editing 6-8K footage. Right now, my system barely handles 8K. Short of starting over on a new build:
    Remember that everything is still in Beta stage, when everything goes according to plan (that I know of) NAB 2019 will be a good time for official release.

    Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    Quadro RTX 5000
    $2300
    3072 Cuda Cores
    16GB
    About perfect for 6k and bare minimum for 8k (memory wise) but don't expect full-res premium decode in real-time.

    Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    Titan RTX
    $2499
    4608 Cuda Cores
    24GB
    Looks to be around the sweet spot for realtime 8k editing in realtime.

    Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2
    $2600
    4352 Cuda Cores each
    11GB
    Fastest, but will run out of memory fast with 8k when doing effects like noise reduction.

    Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    I’m completely unsure of how the resources on a dual card setup are used. So, I’m looking to you guys for help. Thanks!
    Don't buy to fast on promises and keep an eye on this thread http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...lic(ish)-Build. On wednesday everything can be different.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #249  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto & Vancouver
    Posts
    3,508
    The 2060 RTX's MSRP is $350... can it push any weight?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #250  
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    94
    Apparently apple support is coming, fingers crossed

    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/01/...egpu-ces-2019/
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts