Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED + NVIDIA Announce Realtime 8K R3D GPU Decoding

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    OOOooooooooo snap. For the longest time RED said this wasn't possible (hence RED rockets), but I'm guessing ProresRAW and new r3d-shooting consumer products (*cough*hydrogen*cough*) made this a necessity.

So this will put the "Which is playback is faster in RCX; OpenCL vs CUDA" debate to rest? Any word on the low-end? For example, can the 2gb 750M GPU in MacBook Pros playback 4k~8k at 1/2?

I understand that NLEs won't start incorporating it until December, but when can we expect to see this in RCXp/CUDA in general?
    Last edited by Mike P.; 08-14-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    we now have wavelet decode AND debayer working on GPU..

Now we are talking.
    Mark L. Pederson | Cinema Products | TERADEK

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    OOOooooooooo snap. For the longest time RED said this wasn't possible (hence RED rockets),
    heh heh I think you missed my very public disdain for the RR. I said 3 years ago that it was one of my missions to make the Rocket's extinct. I never liked needing the Rocket for real time.. because it was so expensive and so single use. Actually "never liked" is probably not the right descriptor. "hated with a passion" is probably more suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua VP View Post
    PC only thing? Or will options be available for Mac? Sorry didn't watch the keynote because of time constraints..
    OpenCL may come in a year or two... but not till CUDA is completely fleshed out. AMD does have a pretty fast solution with their high end workstation cards that can get you to realtime the old way as long as you have a ninja Xeon or two or 4.

Have a few Rocket-X’s for sale. PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    heh heh I think you missed my very public disdain for the RR. I said 3 years ago that it was one of my missions to make the Rocket's extinct. I never liked needing the Rocket for real time.. because it was so expensive and so single use. Actually "never liked" is probably not the right descriptor. "hated with a passion" is probably more suitable.
    heh, I definitely recall your disdain (when GPU decoding assist was incorporated a few years ago), but didn't realize that meant you guys were actively trying to get an alternative solution going.

So when is it going to be in RCXp (same timeframe/December)? And how much of a playback boost are you guys seeing in the low-end/mobile solutions? (I'd be amped for 4k full-res/real-time playback and 8k 1/2 res/real-time playback on MBPs with discreet GPUs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    OOOooooooooo snap. For the longest time RED said this wasn't possible (hence RED rockets), but I'm guessing ProresRAW and new r3d-shooting consumer products (*cough*hydrogen*cough*) made this a necessity.

So this will put the "Which is playback is faster in RCX; OpenCL vs CUDA" debate to rest? Any word on the low-end? For example, can the 2gb 750M GPU in MacBook Pros playback 4k~8k at 1/2?
    Maybe Cineform 8k is the codec for you, the debayer on the GPU still needs a lot of juice, no-matter what codec.
    This codec is freaking low on resources and only around 20% larger than R3D with the same quality.

A very good reason not to use....

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Maybe Cineform 8k is the codec for you, the debayer on the GPU still needs a lot of juice, no-matter what codec.
    This codec is freaking low on resources and only around 20% larger than R3D with the same quality.

A very good reason not to use....
    Yeah, except my cameras shoot .r3d and transcoding is extraordinarily dumb/time consuming/storage wasting when/if there's a real-time alternative available.

In either case, I found this in the other thread (re:older hardware performance):

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land
    The most important thing looking at older generation cards other than the CUDA cores is memory bandwidth and memory capacity. As much as current gen CUDA cards will benefit from the new software, there is a cutoff where if the card memory is too low it will become the bottleneck andf erase all the gains. We don't know what that exact cutoff is.. but I just dont want people to think that you can use a 2GB card from 5 years ago and expect anything great to happen.

1080ti's are probably at that cutoff but what replaces it likely will not. Of course the RTX cards are not.
    I'd think the memory capacity bottleneck is a resolution dependent one, but obviously I'm in no position to know for sure. Similarly, I wouldn't expect *great* things to happen on older hardware, but as I said, I'd be more than content with real-time playback of 4k full-res and 1/2 res 8k on my current mobile hardware.

Currently, I can playback 6k 12:1 at 1/4... but at 5:1 I gotta drop it down to 1/8 (which FCPX doesn't have as Apple refuses to incorporate something as simple as user-selectable playback resolution).

With that in mind, I'd prefer it if RED let the user decide whether or not the performance boost (or lack thereof) is acceptable or not. Currently, RCXp doesn't let you enable GPU support with cards that have 1gb of vRAM, even though that was all that was required to give a healthy boost in playback performance in RCXp versions prior to v50 (when a 2gb limit was spontaneously enabled/enforced).
    Last edited by Mike P.; 08-14-2018 at 12:49 PM.

I say we put the Apple and NVIDIA peeps in a room and don't let them out until they bury the hatchet...

Cheers - #19

So December is when NLEs (adobe etc.?) get the new SDK - library code etc - for the improved processing? Does that mean we have the usual wait on Adobe's end?

Is there a way to ask the NLEs to engineer a more well structured/generic interface into your decode libraries so that you can decouple your development timelines from theirs? Have them just call into a shared library that can be updated at your leisure? So exhausting waiting on Adobe's timelines.

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D'Amelia View Post
    So December is when NLEs (adobe etc.?) get the new SDK - library code etc - for the improved processing? Does that mean we have the usual wait on Adobe's end?

Is there a way to ask the NLEs to engineer a more well structured/generic interface into your decode libraries so that you can decouple your development timelines from theirs? Have them just call into a shared library that can be updated at your leisure? So exhausting waiting on Adobe's timelines.
    Well I am at my desk using the alpha in a very normal build of Premiere :)