Thread: DSMC2 Speedboster for everyone!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 DSMC2 Speedboster for everyone! 
    Allright, the title might be somewhat misleading. I am sure some of you will think this is redicolus..

Very much inspired by James Miller - read his fabulous thread here:
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...Caddy-3D-Print

I have now digged myself deep into the 3D printing rabbit hole - and i love the possibilities - highly reccomended.

The nice thing with this solution is that no sensor adjustment should be needed, due to the new lens mount with a shorter flange distance (I have never adjusted my sensor so should be in stock position - i can ofcourse not guarantee that no sensor adjustment will be needed). To avoid adjusting the sensor - you could also rotate the speedbooster outwards.
    This will make you able to reach infinity focus if not able to with a fully seated speedboster into the holder.
    It is very convenient to have as a tool - only having to switch OLPF and mount, and not perform a sensor adjustment.

It is ofcourse not perfect - a 3D printed lens mount might be the redicolus factor for some.
    In the future if i see the need, i am thinking of contacting this company to custom make a mount to match the new flange distance when adding the speedbooster:
    https://c7adapters.com/en/products

Some footage for comparison only, nothing exciting:
    https://youtu.be/zZkqc4BNcbs
    After doing this test i observed a light skewed vignetting - this is fixed now.

First of all, i did this mainly for myself, but after spending countless of hours (Weeks to be honest) on it - I thought maybe others might want it too and at the same time get paid for my time.
    Might sound like much for some plastic - but taking into account development, printing time (4,5hrs per kit) and shipping i think it is fair.

What will it cost?
    200 Dollars for this speedbooster, currently on sale: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...f_lens_to.html
    150 Dollars for the 3D printed parts, shipping included to make it simple (If you want DHL express that will be ekstra).

So 350 Dollars in total for a speedbooster for your DSMC2 camera - as long as you have a OLPF to use with it.

Read this guide prior to phurchase:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=14U...9177D559q_EaDy

Positives:
    • 35MM FOV @ 7K FF with the Helium sensor (S-W should be fine @ 5K FF / Gemini should be fine @ 4,5K FF - i guess based on sensor size)
    • One extra stop of light hitting your sensor
    • Shooting slowmotion without S35 FOV cropping (To some extent ofcourse)

Negatives:
    • No lens control
    • No 8K FF without vignetting
    • Plastic lens mount
    • Some added flare due to speedboster elements

I do have 10 kits ready for shipping.

Even though I have no clue if anyone want to buy this, i have to say if there is high demand - have some patience since I am not able to produce many units a day with my one 3D-printer.
    If it break down, it might cause a huge delay.

If you want to purchase, send me a email to: Fiskkjonli.media@gmail.com

Included in the package:

Any questions?

Some other stuff i have printed:

Side handle cover:

Carl Zeiss ZF.2 Lens gears:

Home made wireless SDI transmitter by the use of black magic SDI to HDMI converter together with the Amimon CONNEX Wireless Mini HD Video Link:

Simple adapter ring for my Zip box filter holder:
    Last edited by Eirik Fiskkjønli; 08-26-2018 at 02:02 PM.

We could convert these to a proper machined parts and add proper lens mounts, we already sell them anyway. If we could get , say 20 Redusers committed I think that would be doable...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    We could convert these to a proper machined parts and add proper lens mounts, we already sell them anyway. If we could get , say 20 Redusers committed I think that would be doable...
    Would a passive e-mount be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Would a passive e-mount be possible?
    Not easily. The lens would have to mount inside the camera body. But it could be achieved with optics added. Not really a practical solution IMO...

Not easily. The lens would have to mount inside the camera body. But it could be achieved with optics added. Not really a practical solution IMO...
    Thanks for your insights, to bad those Fujinon MK's are great zooms considering the price point.

Thanks for your insights, to bad those Fujinon MK's are great zooms considering the price point.
    Fujinon sales and engineers made sure that those $3.5K lenses do not cross over into the $10k, 20K, 50K, 80K lens territory. They put a pretty clear barrier there..

Fujinon sales and engineers made sure that those $3.5K lenses do not cross over into the $10k, 20K, 50K, 80K lens territory. They put a pretty clear barrier there..
    Yep on Venice only 4k and the MAVO 6k for around 8.500 pound ex.vat. in the UK.

Honestly I don't know who possibly will use these lenses, or any e-mount lenses on the Venice. I think they put it there because they could. It wasn't even functional when I checked it.

Honestly I don't know who possibly will use these lenses, or any e-mount lenses on the Venice. I think they put it there because they could. It wasn't even functional when I checked it.
    FS7 & FS5 users and fuji x-mount users.

FS7 & FS5 users and fuji x-mount users.
    I think that's a different level camera. The sensor size, resolution, form factor, price is so distant from the FS5 and FS7 that it is going to be very little overlap in production. The Venice is a descendant to the F65
    The FS5/7 is a step up from their still camera line. Not much in common in reality...