Thread: 8K Monsto and an aging actress

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 8K Monsto and an aging actress 
    Hi guys,

I've got an upcoming shoot with a beautiful late 40's actress. We've done a lot of these shoots in past years and I've pretty much keep the resolution to 5K-6K. We always have a giant soft source right by camera for her key, so her light is very soft and flat.

My client does take the time to do work in Flame, but I'm always be battling the "Alexa is easier to work with". In spite of this, they've deferred to me to use the camera of my choice, which is always the latest Red offering.

On this upcoming shoot we've got a small intimate set but they'd still like the BG to be soft, so I'm thinking the Monsto is perfect, but I'm getting push back from the producers saying they absolutely don't want to shoot in 8K resolution for a 1080 release (TVC) because "well see every pore" in her skin.

Being that spending money in Flame doesn't scare them (within reason), what can I suggest, in regard to post methods, or lens diffusion that will help our cause? I haven't used lens diffusion lately, right or wrong, I was under the impression that can be finessed better digitally.

As always, any input is appreciated.

I've hit this rather humorous hurdle a few times. Take a weekend and do some tests, toss in some filtration in there too. It isn't exactly how that limited opinion works. If you want to go the extra mile, shoot some 4K and 5K too.

Also find some glass that's a bit more less ruthless if there's a real concern.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by steve green View Post
    Hi guys,

I've got an upcoming shoot with a beautiful late 40's actress. We've done a lot of these shoots in past years and I've pretty much keep the resolution to 5K-6K. We always have a giant soft source right by camera for her key, so her light is very soft and flat.

My client does take the time to do work in Flame, but I'm always be battling the "Alexa is easier to work with". In spite of this, they've deferred to me to use the camera of my choice, which is always the latest Red offering.

On this upcoming shoot we've got a small intimate set but they'd still like the BG to be soft, so I'm thinking the Monsto is perfect, but I'm getting push back from the producers saying they absolutely don't want to shoot in 8K resolution for a 1080 release (TVC) because "well see every pore" in her skin.

Being that spending money in Flame doesn't scare them (within reason), what can I suggest, in regard to post methods, or lens diffusion that will help our cause? I haven't used lens diffusion lately, right or wrong, I was under the impression that can be finessed better digitally.

As always, any input is appreciated.
    I agree with what Phil said. I just ordered a Schneider Radiant Soft filter to help with skin while preventing tons of highlight bloom. This seems like a filter right up the alley of this shoot. Give the radiant soft filters a look on their vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/schneideroptics
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Why not just give them 2k pro-res in IPP2? If they are happy/want the Alexa look then bingo!
    I've got a black belt in keeping it real!

Canon CN E 85 + 50 are luscious on Monstro, along with your giant source, for just her face, add a barely there, opal/slight coral filtration on a full flood inkie/w snoot underneath the lens, so it is just reads in her eyes, back it off a bit, it is like putty on a scratched board.
    Last edited by scott devitte; 08-24-2018 at 09:45 AM.

"Fix it in Post" ;-)

-Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    "Fix it in Post" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    "Fix it in Post" ;-)

Yes of course, but it is not just tongue in cheek anymore, society is being trained to expect it. It is easy now, but you take all the character away from your actor, If you want a 20 year old hire a 20 year old, if you are hiring a 40 something actress it is partly because she is 40. There is a lot, lens choice, camera angle, lighting angle, filtration, color, intensity, reflections etc., on set with a real person that you can work with before you apply some Apple approved, consensus beauty algorithm to cleanse her of character. Poet Ann Morrow Lindbergh (Chuckie's wife) noted- "beauty in youth is an accident of nature, beauty in age is a work of art." Aim any modern cine style camera at a beautiful young woman/person, punch in the prefab numbers, over crank, and voila you have little short bursts of dazzling beauty that Vimeo, Facebook, and RedUser are full of. But a narrative demands more and that is where the working at it part, the cinematographers crack at it, of "a work of art" comes to bear.

Tell them that resolution is not sharpness. The more resolution you have, the less you have to make "it look" sharp.
    More resolution gives you more natural skin nuances and a less artificial look. It's always easier to soften your picture by choosing filtration, lenses, ... if really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Tell them that resolution is not sharpness. The more resolution you have, the less you have to make "it look" sharp.
    More resolution gives you more natural skin nuances and a less artificial look. It's always easier to soften your picture by choosing filtration, lenses, ... if really needed.
    ^Pin this
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com