Thread: FULLSTERKUR - Mastered in 8K

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 FULLSTERKUR - Mastered in 8K 
    Our film, FULLSTERKUR, has just been release. Over the past few years we have been working hard to maximize the abilities of the RED platform and I think this documentary champions that work.

Filmed in 8K WS with our two Helium 8K S35 and Canon CE primes and lightweight zooms, all modified by Duclos Lenses with PL. Other gear was our Oconnor 1030Ds, Ronin and Inspire 2 at ProRes 4444 XQ. Daily offloads are with a pc we built that allows five 1TB mags to offload in about 55 minutes at the same time. We then dump to master/clone 12TB bare drives.

Edited in Premiere CC on a pair of 18 core iMac Pro with everything added, and 12 core MacPro–all in as well (2013). With our 600TB JelleyFish Rack dishing out the gobs footage.

With a 18 core iMac Pro the master encode took 30 hours and created a 1.6TB master file. Another 9 hrs to encode it for delivery in 8K on YouTube which got it down to 129GB.

I haven't come across many, if any, features delivered in 8K so maybe we are helping to pave the path for more long-form content at that resolution. Phil Holland has always inspired me and the team with the way he kicks tech in the face to do amazing work and provide us with great tools. Jacob Schwarz and his lady do amazing work with these platforms in 8K too (shout out to Utah locals!)

I'll let you read the description of the film on YouTube if you're interested. Hope you like it!

https://youtu.be/79Tcsg2Yac8
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Todd Sansom; 08-28-2018 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add an image

This film is awesome! I'm not done watching it yet, but I've already sent links to many people I respect. Congratulations!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Thank you for the kind words. And taking time to watch and share!