Thread: LTO8 Media Shortage

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 LTO8 Media Shortage 
    REDuser Sponsor
    Hey all,

Just a warning that LTO8 media / cartridges are extremely hard to get right now. There is a lawsuit between Sony and Fujifilm for LTO media currently.

Production has stopped on LTO8 media and nobody knows when the court will allow production again. If you have an LTO8 tape drive, be sure to grab media if you see it fast because it could be months before they come back.

First the trade war 25% tariffs on LTO tape drives, now this is happening......
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

Wow, that is really weird. I hate it when hardware makers declare war on each other, then what really happens is a lot of shrapnel starts hurting their customers.

I think backup media is the last form of tape that Sony currently makes, so it's kind of their last stand in this area.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Any update on this? Ebay is pretty short on LTO-8 stuff.

How stupid. This will kill tape.

REDuser Sponsor
    All of the distributors are out of stock with no ETA on incoming still.

I stockpiled LTO8 cartridges once I heard this was happening so my customers are still covered. If anyone needs some LTO8 cartridges, I can sell them at a decent price.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

Has anyone heard of a resolution. I was just about to order a LTO drive, but now I'm not so sure this would be wise.
    Does this legal batter concern the whole world or just USA?
    I guess in theory one could use LTO7 drives instead.
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

REDuser Sponsor
    I'm still trying to find out what is going on. According to this article, they said Oct 25th one case will have a judgement, and another in Dec. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-magnetic-tape

A judge is scheduled to announce his preliminary decision in Fujifilm’s latest case against Sony by Oct. 25. A final decision in Sony’s case against Fujifilm is slated for December, according to the ITC. Both companies declined to comment for this story.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

REDuser Sponsor
    I still would recommend just getting LTO8 instead of LTO7. The price difference is very slim between the two. You can always just use LTO7 media until LTO8 media comes back next year. I don't know why IBM hasn't thrown money at getting this resolved since it effects them the most.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

Hi guys
    I neeed to do lots of backup so though I would either go for a tape drive or standard harddrive.

Has anyone tried the LTO7 Type M? As I understand the drivers are identical to LTO7, but you initialize them with an LTO8 drive, then you get 9TB instead of 6.
    According to my calclations a LTO7 drive would cost about 6 pounds/TB while a 14TB Toshiba drive would cost 32 Pounds/TB so it is 5x cheaper.

I had planned to get an internal LTO8 drive and then use an USB/SATA cable to connect it to a laptop. The Thunderbolt versions are very expensive.
    Thoughts? I am a Tape n00b.
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

I find the Type M procedure very confusing and for now am just using LTO-7 cartridges in my LTO-8 drive as 6TB cartridges. When the LTO-8 cartridges are available again, I'll jump back then. I'm using the Imagine software which works very well.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram