Thread: LTO8 Media Shortage

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Read up a bit more mLogic apparently supports formating LTO Type M, so the 9TB version
    "Able to format new, unused LTO 7 tapes as Type M-8 media. This allows the use of LTO 7 tapes in an LTO 8 Drive and increases the normal capacity of an LTO 7 tape by 50%, up to 22.5TB compressed."

The TB to SAS converts are qutie heavy at 1.5kg so probably no point for me to use.
    An extra problem is I have a PC, always tricky to get Thunderbolt to work. My supermicro motherboard is supposed to support it, but I could never get it to work (did not try that much though).

Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Read up a bit more mLogic apparently supports formating LTO Type M, so the 9TB version
    "Able to format new, unused LTO 7 tapes as Type M-8 media. This allows the use of LTO 7 tapes in an LTO 8 Drive and increases the normal capacity of an LTO 7 tape by 50%, up to 22.5TB compressed."

The TB to SAS converts are qutie heavy at 1.5kg so probably no point for me to use.
    An extra problem is I have a PC, always tricky to get Thunderbolt to work. My supermicro motherboard is supposed to support it, but I could never get it to work (did not try that much though).

Andreas

Why not a USB3 version?

https://magstor.com/collections/unit...top-tape-drive

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Hi

I know that the type M thing is confusing. My understanding is that it allows for 9TB on a LTO7 tape written in a LTO8 drive with no promise of forwards or backwards compatibility. So here is my stance.

For tapes that are going externally, we are writing only LTO7 standard tapes. They are labeled as L7 and can be read in any LTO7 or LTO8 drive.

Our our own archives, we are initializing as Type M. Why you ask, because it drives my archival cost down 33%. And since these are just internal, and properly labeled with a M8 barcode, I don't see the downside. Will I need to make sure I have a LTO8 drive around for the foreseeable future, why yes. But this LTO8 purchase was a 5-7 year purchase and migration. And everything sitting on LTO tapes for us is also sitting on our cold storage server that has about 256TB of parity safe storage.

End result, 62TB of raw R3D from a documentary sits on 7 tapes rather than 11. Saving me 4 tapes.

Hi Matthew, that is interesting to know.
    Yes, LTO7 Type M allowes 9TB on the same 6TB tapes. The reason, and this is interesting, is that the new LTO8 drives can write with a higher density. So even though the tapes are the same, because of the increased resolution of the drive we get 50% more space.
    I have done some more research and it seems that the mLogic drive can write Type M (I asked their tech support). They said that it depends on the software if it can write in this mode. 50% more storage is a considerable improvement so would be great to use it if it is indeed possible.
    What software do you use for your backups?

Best wishes,
    Andreas
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Bob, the USB version is pretty clever, but it seems to be a lot slower. 140MB/s while the TB are supposed to be able to write in 300MB/S. Not sure why USB cannot handle 300MB/s, should be fine.

Also did some digging on the LTO-7M and found you shouldn't use it on a standalone drive though. It should only be used in a barcode library environment.
    If you insert an lto7 m8 formatted tape into an lto7 drive on accident it will corrupt your tape.

10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Yikes! Where did you get this information Bob. Pretty scary.
    I'm just working here on testing if I can get thunderbolt up and running on my PC. It has a specific card for thunderbolt but I seem to miss a cable to connect it to the motherboard.
    /Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Yikes! Where did you get this information Bob. Pretty scary.
    I'm just working here on testing if I can get thunderbolt up and running on my PC. It has a specific card for thunderbolt but I seem to miss a cable to connect it to the motherboard.
    /Andreas
    Tim from Magstor gave me this info today. I'm going to avoid LTO-7M until LTO-8 tapes are readily available.

10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

YoYottaID is great. Very happy with the software and allows for Type M Initialization.

I agree that Type M is not a good case for when outside parties are around, but all my tapes are properly barcoded M8 and we do not have a LTO7 deck around. Myself nd only one other person in our company are doing backups. And these are for cold storage. Ice Cold. I am 100% ok with my choice, knowing that I have taken the correct steps to prevent future disaster.

Also, you can insert a M8 tape in a LTO7 Drive. It doesn't corrupt it. Just won't read it. Just like if you stuck a LTO8 tape in a LT7 drive.

Good to know Matthew. YoYotta seems great, pity we use mainly PCs.
    When you write the tapes what drive do you have? Is it an external one or the bigger library systems.
    Andreas