Thread: LTO8 Media Shortage

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Hi Andreas

I have a Thunderbolt2 M-Logic One. I had issues with it. Sent t back but my replacement has been fine. M-Logic Support leaves something to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Riggieri View Post
    Hi Andreas

I have a Thunderbolt2 M-Logic One. I had issues with it. Sent t back but my replacement has been fine. M-Logic Support leaves something to be desired.
    Honestly why I went with Magstor. M-Logic is impossible to get a hold of.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

REDuser Sponsor
    Hey guys,

I've been on vacation, but am back now. Just to clear some things up about the LTO7 M8 format and tape drives in general.

LTO7 M8 9TB formatted cartridges are only going to work in an LTO8 drive, and IBM has made it clear that LTO9 is probably not going to work with LTO7 M8 tapes. If you insert an LTO7 M8 tape into an LTO7 drive on accident, then you're going to be sorry. You need to keep in mind that someone 10 years down the road looks at the tape and sees it says LTO7, then thinks they need an LTO7 drive to run it. Tape libraries have barcode scanners that will identify the tape (if the barcode is properly set to M8) and only insert it into an LTO8 drive.

While you CAN use M8 on a standalone drive by formatting it with appropriate LTFS software, it just isn't recommended due to the risks and non-compatibility issues. All drives can format M8 it's just dependent on the software such as YoYotta etc.

Regarding the internal drives vs external drives mentioned. An internal drive would require a power source and cooling, so you can't just take it around and plug it into your laptop with a converter.

Unitex USB LTO tape drives actually run at up to 240 MB/s, not 140. Thunderbolt can do 300 MB/s, which is the same as the native SAS speeds on tape drives, but in reality you don't see a full 300+ too often in real life anyway unless your conditions are extremely ideal. For example you'd need a big Thunderbolt RAID or SSDs to transfer at 300 MB/s and also be using large consistent files so the drive doesn't have to stop and make an LTFS marker between a ton of small files. I know it's a turn off saying that 240 MB/s isn't the full capability of the drive but it's rarely an issue in reality.

Thunderbolt to SAS adapters do work in some cases but are not all created equally, nor do they have tape drives specifically in mind when being engineered. Normally the hardware vendors between each one will point fingers at each other when you have a problem and you know how that ends up - lots of bickering between vendors and the end user is caught up in the crossfire wasting time and not getting anything resolved.

MagStor's parent company, Magnext, distributes and supports the MagStor and Unitex product lines. Magnext has been in the business of tape drive repair and emergency logistics serving end users and maintenance companies since 2005 with very strict SLAs. MagStor was actually featured on Linus Tech Tips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alxqpbSZorA
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

REDuser Sponsor
    I found an article referring to the tape case. https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law...e-patent-fight

It says Fujfilm won the preliminary hearing in Oct and a final verdict will come in February. I've reached out to the international trade commission for how to receive updates on the matter.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com

REDuser Sponsor
    Well now I see they filed a notice to extend the date to March 25th for a ruling. (due to government shutdown)

https://www.usitc.gov/secretary/fed_...2082019sgl.pdf
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com