Thread: Audio preamp for Weapon - SONOSAX M2D2

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Maybe a Lectro-Sax love child...
    Ohhh yes! Imagine a DSMC2 audio module with Sonosax Preamp and Lectrosonics recorder and a nice little SRc reciever! ;-)

Pat

The Lectrosonics unit looks nice - but not excited about mounting both the Sonosax and the Lectro to my rig (plus wireless video TX, wireless MDR, etc).

Thanks to Patrick for the find, I might rent one on some projects. That said, from a form factor perspective, I just want something as small and light as possible that has good pre-amps, rock solid 48v phantom power and a card slot for redundant recording upstream from the camera audio section. Maybe a Lectro-Sax love child...

Cheers - #19
    Blaire, is not the Sound Devices Mix Pre II 3 a bit what you are asking for? It is 0.480grams and phantom power.
    It is small as well, but the Sonoxas is of course a bit smaller. Its cheaper too.
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

If you wanted to use the Sonosax M2D2 for single system sound with a DSMC2 Base Expander, would you just get a short stereo mini to stereo mini plug to connect them? Wouldn't that still route your audio signal through the same pre-amp prior to recording? I realize the M2D2 offers lots of potential configurations, but AFAIK the vast majority of RedUsers run RED Base Expanders. Would the M2D2 be able to provide such a robust signal that you could turn the gain far enough down on the pre-amp inside the Base Expander to overcome it's limitations?
    Cheers - #19
    To connect to a Base Expander, you could use a TA3F to stereo mini cable like this https://www.trewaudio.com/product/re...dio-cat3f18ms/ ? The M2D2 has 1x line output on TA3, 2 channels analog unbalanced.

and you could power the Sonosax M2D2 with the Base Expander's USB port or Panasonic NCR18650B battery.
    Last edited by Blair Thornton; 11-17-2019 at 03:22 PM.