Thread: Woah.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Teradek is a Vitec company. Vitec has a stable of lawyers and a predatory stance that seems to run competitors into the financial ground due to litigation and seemingly rigged U.S trade barriers. Big money wins again at the expense of free trade and the little guy. That is what Vitec does and it is nothing new. I have noticed that when Vitec buys a company, the customer service and support goes down while the prices and excuses go up. It seems to be Vitec's M.O. The fact that the internal communication was sent out speaks volumes in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Miro View Post
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...QAvD_BwE&smp=y

Why is it ok for B&H to sell the THOR 800 "LEGALLY" in the united states and out of bounds for this product to be sold in this Group Buy? Something isn't right here. I see no reason why this GROUP buy SHOULDNT move forward if this product is already being sold by American Vendors.

even if Teredek is a sponsor of REDUSER, reduser should have no obligation to take down a groupbuy of a product that is legally sold in the US.

this is ridiculous. Put it back up.
    B&H does not currently sell those products. Notice they are all "special order". Any business can send B&H a price list and get their products listed, but B&H cannot and will not sell an item unless it can do so legally.

Just like Vaxis, we are also forbidden from selling certain Amimon chipsets in the United States. The Group Buy wasn't cancelled because Teradek sponsors this forum, it was cancelled because Vaxis were in breach of many regulations and agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Colvig View Post
    Teradek is a Vitec company. Vitec has a stable of lawyers and a predatory stance that seems to run competitors into the financial ground due to litigation and seemingly rigged U.S trade barriers. Big money wins again at the expense of free trade and the little guy. That is what Vitec does and it is nothing new. I have noticed that when Vitec buys a company, the customer service and support goes down while the prices and excuses go up. It seems to be Vitec's M.O. The fact that the internal communication was sent out speaks volumes in my opinion.
    This sort of logic pops up every once and a while. but it couldn't be farther from the truth. For one, Vitec Group has nothing to do with this. Teradek has its own counsel, always has, and operates independently.

Frankly, your entire statement is just false. Our prices have actually gone down, not up and again, this isn't a matter of free trade, its a matter of laws and contracts signed and then violated by Vaxis.

You're right about one thing though: this C&D should not have been sent out and it was a mistake on our part. I've personally apologized to Travis and we regret this turned out the way that it did.
    Last edited by Mike Gailing; 09-05-2018 at 11:03 PM.

Mike what laws is Vaxis in violation of and what proof do you have
    in order to make this accusation?
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k - G&E
    Sigma Cinema prime set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set

Pres Trump's new motto as of today is "Stitches for Snitches" .

-Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis boggs View Post
    Mike what laws is Vaxis in violation of and what proof do you have
    in order to make this accusation?
    Curtis, I encourage you to take it up with Amimon. They will be happy to explain it. In a nutshell, Thor products are legal in China only. They do not run the required firmware to operate legally in the USA - firmware only Amimon can provide. We have access to those same chips and we are bound by the exact same rules.

There really isn't much more I can add here. I realize how all of this looks from the outside, but like most businesses, there are many things behind the scenes that cannot be discussed publicly.

I don't think Amimon had anything to do with cancelling this group buy as they seem like straight up guys, this is something a snowflake would do. I think it's fine if you guys talk publicly about it. Nobody is forbidding TD from selling anything although it was a good idea to wait for the DSMC3 and sell the module through Red.

Hey Travis, what are the odds of swapping to the Storm 500+ unit? I assume this has compliant chipsets, although the specs are a little lower? Or perhaps Teradek can make an equivalent offer?

http://en.vaxis.cn/en/index.php?ac=a...t=read&did=117
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Why would BandH list a product on it's website that it cannot sell "legally" in the US? Do you have any other listings on BANDH that are illegal?

How do we know that VAXIS worked out a deal to receive that firmware before TEREDEK?

if it is a "software" issue then the firmware can be updated. Therefore the sale of the HARDWARE product isn't a illegality. Sounds like a software update to remain compliant. Which happens ALL THE TIME with new Tech to stay "compliant".

There is absolutely no reason that this cannot be discussed publically.

Put the group buy back up.
    ---------
    EPIC-W

Hell of journey here on this one that started late, late last night and went even later into the night doing a bit of research here on all things that transpired.

Extremely abridged version, the Thor unit is not approved to be sold and/or distributed in the USA. There are a variety of reasons for this. That's where this starts and stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Meserve View Post
    There have been several group buys before this. Seems strange that Teradek would go after Vaxis now.

Afraid of competition?
    It's not about "going after them", it's about this particular model that is not legal to sale within the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington Chase View Post
    I buy stuff from China thats against some reg, rule or law here all the time... who cares? Why would Teradeck try to shut this down? I wonder if anybody will bring a cheap $49 Chinese jammer from ebay that completely blocks their freq's to their NAB booth?
    I won't get into too much of the crazy stuff involved here, but wireless transmission and communication devices are highly regulated here for several reasons. Human health, proper use of bandwidth, and even technology related things.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis boggs View Post
    Isn't this the 2nd time a group buy was "effected" by Teradek's claims of FCC compliance?

Seems like the units that Vaxis have been selling for a few years now have been
    accused of the same thing by Teradek in the past but no proof has ever been given
    and the FCC don't seem to be pursuing Vaxis.

Honestly this looks like dirty business being played by Teradek.

Frankly if Teradek has such an issue they should be sending legal after Vaxis
    and not some innocent DP trying to do a group buy.
    Also if the C&D letter was "never intended" to be sent, why was it ever written in the first place.
    I understand the POV. And I'm not exactly thrilled with a C&D letter in this case, but it was also sort of a quick way to put the brakes on an illegal product A. being sold, B. being offered, or C. effecting even REDuser as that is part of the equation here.

In this case, proof has been given by both Teradek and Amimon now and there's a lot of things surrounding it.

There's a lot developing here, but what I will say is behind the scenes Teradek has done all of the legal jumping through hoops to get their products up to snuff for US state-side use. This is one of the many reasons they have become a working standard on set and have complied with safety, health, and bandwidth regulations. Two of those most people don't even consider when dealing with various products because they don't know how deep that hole goes. In this case there's some chip and technology specific stuff going on as well. This also alludes to why Group Buys need to be approved at this point as the whole thing is a bit more complicated now with products that can, should, or shouldn't be sold in the USA and other territories for so many reasons.

I apologize this is a frustrating thing as for you guys it looked like a good deal, but you were getting a good deal on something you can't really buy. That's really what is happening here. Side note, I own both Teradek and Vaxis gear. This isn't really about that. It's about the Thor itself and likely a few other products.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gentle View Post
    Hey Travis, what are the odds of swapping to the Storm 500+ unit? I assume this has compliant chipsets, although the specs are a little lower? Or perhaps Teradek can make an equivalent offer?
    I've been chatting with Teradek for a while, several months actually, regarding a group buy and this seems like a good time to push that baby through. Standby, likely doing this thing this week to help with the inconvenient timing here. Best news. You can actually buy that and use it legally within the US safely on set and abroad.

Personal note. I don't ever want to read legal documents, FCC filings, and various contracts at 2am ever again. Certainly doesn't induce a high quality sleep experience.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon