Thread: Traveling to China

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Traveling to China 
    Hey RED people. Some advice is needed.
    I'm traveling over to China for vacation and as I do everywhere I go, I want to take my Epic-W. However I just found out that they don't accept Carnet for things that aren't related to trade shows and that I would need a Temporary Import Bond or a Costoms Broker. No thanks. It's just a vacation that I want to shoot in 8K. LOL
    So any sugestions you have would be useful. I really don't want to just bring a a7s or DSLR. But I also don't what my stuff confiscated by the chinese gov. So you know, pros/cons.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Muller View Post
    I'm traveling over to China for vacation and as I do everywhere I go, I want to take my Epic-W. However I just found out that they don't accept Carnet for things that aren't related to trade shows and that I would need a Temporary Import Bond or a Costoms Broker. No thanks. It's just a vacation that I want to shoot in 8K. LOL
    So any sugestions you have would be useful. I really don't want to just bring a a7s or DSLR. But I also don't what my stuff confiscated by the chinese gov. So you know, pros/cons.
    Thanks
    Short answer: dont take the epic w. Suggestion: get a new camera/toy and a gymbal. Maybe a Gx9, or a GH5S, or if still on time one of the new mirrorless from Nikon , Canon or Fuji. they all have log and I believe are 10 bit- excluding the gx9. Or Get a Raven and risk it!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Muller View Post
    Thanks
    Hello Simon!

I from Hong Kong and base in Beijing, as from my last couple years experienced to bring in my cameras to Beijing, I don't get any problem. You can bring with your camera won't be have any problem, just wondering are you gonna bring with EF mount, if so, then that's fine, put them in your camera bag, and if the customer ask you, you can tell them, this your still camera, it's quite easy to get pass, but, if possible, you shall land at Beijing airport, most of the customers are kindest, cause the capital... anything you need recommend, drop me a message.

Cheers and enjoy your vacation in China, wish you love...
    Cineray Films
    Perry Ho
    Director of Photography
    Producer . Director
    STORMTROOPER #39, #78, Weapon s35 8K x3,
    Red One MX #8, Dragon M8...

Cinestar Group China
    Opertec China
    Operetc Arm . Opertec 3 & 4 Axis Stablized Remote Head System . 2D & 3D Cablecam System . Speed Track System

4. #4 Cropping the sensor 
    When you crop, (say a Vista Vision 8k sensor to 4k ) do lose some of the Dynamic range of the sensor ?

Thanks guys,
    Yea looking to bring the gh5, but I might just do the small pelican and risk it... We'll see on the day I'm packing where my courage is at. :)

Hi Simeon,
    I have taken my RED cameras to China repeatedly since 2012 and have not had any problems. My gear is packed in Think Tank bags, which look like any other black carry on (Pelican cases, on the other hand, do attract attention). There has never been an issue on arrival leaving baggage claim at Beijing Capital Airport with a full luggage cart. On departure, security is likely to inspect your batteries and may have you unpack the camera and everything else into a bin for the x-ray. Once, on a domestic departure from Xian, security confiscated my RED Sidewinder multi-tool (advising that I can retrieve it next time in Xian) ... even though it had been in the same place in the same bag for many trips. The security agent told me it was a tool and, hence prohibited by the air transport regulations. So, now I pack such things in checked luggage as you would a Swiss Army knife. The Sidewinder was a reminder that security can be random anywhere and China is no different in that respect. Have a great vacation and enjoy the RED footage when you return.

For what it's worth, last year I traveled to Shanghai for a doc shoot with a trade show carnet and didn't have any issues entering or exiting China.
    Jordan Beard
    Canopy Films