Thread: Markers and workflow

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Markers and workflow 
    For markers that I place on clips in the Viewer from the Media/File Browser they don't seem to save when I view another clip and return to the "marked" clip.

Why?

For markers that I place on clips in a project in the Viewer, those markers disappear when I open the source file in the media browser even if I save to RMD.

Why?

For markers that I put anywhere on clips in Redcine-X, those markers are not transferred to Adobe Premiere Pro and I essentially have to re-log my footage again WITHOUT the ability to native-trim garbage clips (since Redcine-X is only program capable of trimming and exporting .r3d files).

Why?

Marking clips in Adobe Premiere, even when saved to the RMD, do not show up in Redcine-X.

Why?

Ideally, I'd like to mark good and bad clips in Redcine-X on a first pass after ingest. I do this for all the footage, marking the good parts and rough trim points. After the first pass, I update the markers which are saved to the RMDs, trim the clips on export, and then import these clips into Premiere Pro WITH the markers I made during the 1st and 2nd pass retained.

For a doc with unstructured script it is essential to cut down on storage and hardware requirements on location and in the editing room by trimming arbage/out of focus/unusable media ASAP from the backup and editing ingest; to do this effectively I need to watch the footage once to mark the cuts, and then again to fine-tune the trim points and actually export the usable material which then can get ingested to Premiere.

The problem is that watching 10-12 hours of material TWICE without the ability to put in markers or metadata makes the process of logging the footage in Premiere tedious, time-consuming, and is just really lame that makes the switch from run-and-gun production to editing not very much fun.

It would also be great to rename the footage on export such that premiere only displays the changed name of the clip; this again is not something that the Red/Premiere ecosystem currently seems to support and just makes everything more difficult and complicated for those of us who are new to filming with lots of footage and editing. Thanks.

You could instead view all the footage in Resolve and then drop in markers there, and you can export Marker Lists from Resolve.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

To be clear you mean that entering markers in Resolve can be reliably exported to Premiere? That's nice but doesn't really fix my use case.

The point of doing the log in Redcine-X first is because it is the only program that can TRIM red files. I want that to be the first step before I have to import that footage in another NLE to prevent me from viewing garbage footage a second time.

It usually takes me two passes on the footage to 1) Make markers of highlights and of points that I want to trim and 2) Fine-tune the trim points and export TRIMMED .R3D files containing only useable footage.

At this point with roughly 12 hours of footage, watching it 2x, I will have spent an entire day watching the stuff and making Markers and notes in Redcine-X; but all metadata I enter in the Redcine-X log of the footage such as markers, comments, and ratings of clips, cannot be retained for Premiere and so I have to watch EVERYTHING all OVER AGAIN when I log and organize the footage in Premiere.

And those Adobe Premiere markers can't be synced to the original or trimmed .r3ds, and so if I want to trim the footage even more to fit on SSDs and fast editing drives, I can't take the Premiere comments/markers and relink them to a smaller version of the TRIMMED files since those files will be unique clips to Premiere.

Hm... Someone is working on issues like these...
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no